Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Estrogen 50mcg patch and hair loss  (Read 13090 times)

Sarah2

Re: Estrogen 50mcg patch and hair loss
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 08:05:09 AM »

RDA is a term used for nutrition, and applies to food, vitamins and supplements, not drugs.

With Utrogestan the dose depends on how often it's taken, not which way it's taken.

As far as I know, the usual dose is 200mg either vaginally or orally if taken for a short amount of time per cycle ( 10-12 days out of 28 days,  or a 2 monthly cycle.) The absorption is not always the same though and there is some evidence that more is absorbed vaginally. This doesn't mean you would increase the dose orally ( due to possible side effects).

You only take less ( 100mg) if you are taking it more often- which means either daily or 25 days out of 28.

Happy to be corrected if this is not accurate!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:43:22 AM by Sarah2 »

Cassie

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »

All hearsay, loads of folk take less than 200mg, less than 12 days per month, the main thing is to get regular scans to see if its doing the trick...

Sarah2

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 03:02:50 PM »

loads of folk take less than 200mg, less than 12 days per month

Are these women you know personally? How much are they taking and for how long?

I don't understand what you mean by 'hearsay'. This is what many women are prescribed and my consultant does the same.

The NHS does not offer routine scans for women on HRT and no NHS Dr would prescribe a 'risky' level of HRT which relied on scans- you'd be needing a scan every 6-12 months, and this is not realistic.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:07:55 PM by Sarah2 »

Sarah2

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »

Okay fair enough!

Are they being offered NHS scans then to check it?

Cassie

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »

Tad defensive there Sarah dear :) You posted re the dosage and whilst I am not disputing that that is exactly how it is licenced to be used, fact is... there are loads of women using it differently! You only have to look in the search box and you will bring up plenty of discussions, we have had ladies drawing up tables of how they have used it over time in different ways, and various topics have covered this subject over the years, but at the risk of repeating myself, it is not something that I would advise anyone to do that is not able to get regular follow up uterine scans, at least once a year. If you cannot do that, then stick to the prescribed regime.... have a super evening! x

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 04:41:51 PM »

We seem to be going off the subject started by Diana - have moved away from hair-loss....!

Anyway - sorry yes Cassie I knew what RDA meant re vitamins but not re the Utro!! To me P/V meant photovoltaic as in solar PV roof panels for generating electricity!!!

Yes Sarah2 - I agree do a search and you will see all the different combos (of Utrogestan dosage) going on out there.

Basically the licensed doses are for oral use.

The French spc recommends vaginal use if side effects from oral use but at the same dosage as oral
Research clearly shows much greater effect from vaginal use because of the uterus first-pass effect (that's where it is needed) but insufficent trials presumably to warrant re-licensing

Few if any GPs will deviate from the dosages even if used vaginally

The lowest dose I have encountered is progesterone for 7 days per month (Studd/Panay) - not sure if this is oral or vaginal and whether it includes Utrogestan, and at which dose as I don't follow this regime. This is almost always with private docs who have done the research and whose patients they monitor with scans at a cost

I agree with Cassie that unless you have access to regular scans it is unwise to deviate far from the recommended regime - but some of us can give suggestions re reducing the dose for vaginal use vs oral, or lengthening the cycle (from whate we've read, and learnt from others), if you are prepared to try it out against your own docs recommendations, which many of us do!

Hurdity x

Meeka

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »

I had hairloss problems and later found that my Vitamin D levels were too low.  It can be a side effect of having a vitamin D deficiency so it may be a good idea to get that checked.  I used 'City Assays' which charge £25, you can find them by googling the name.  Accurate and quick Service.   You could ask your GP to check your thyroid and ask if he will check your Vitamin D levels at the same time via the blood test, that will be free of charge.

http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:36:42 PM by Meeka »
Pages: 1 [2]