Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 4 weeks of bleeding  (Read 6509 times)

Mary1962

4 weeks of bleeding
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »

:( I am having 8 weeks between periods and am most definitely in perimenopause.  The last period was 10 days of flooding on and off and this one I'm now going into my 4th week and the last two weeks have been horrendous it just won't stop.  Am back to the doctor's next Monday.  What are my options - I would like a ferritin test and hormone level test just to see what's going on but do I go for tranexamic acid or HRT to try and get this rebalanced in the short term?  I keep trying to ride it out and keep thinking this one will stop but it's utterly horrid and I'm tired of being stressed over having accidents or getting caught short and ruining clothes and it is curtailing trips out as need to know where loos are!  My mother and one of my older sisters had similar when they were going through it.  Can your system just keep building up lining like this and keep shedding it when hormones are all over the place? 

Mary1962

Re: 4 weeks of bleeding
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »

Ah, just realised I sort of already posted about this back in August...losing my memory as well as my mind! lol

Jane44

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:55:08 AM »

Poor you the only thing I can say is it sounds normal especially of you read other people's experiences on here. Have you thought about a Mirena has your GP mentioned it. I have lots of friends who have used this and to their amazement reduced their periods. Go back and rattle that GP Good luck

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:42:13 PM »

Hello Mary 1962.
During my perimenopause I had regular but increasingly heavy periods. After experiencing two in one month I saw my doctor and was found to have a small fibroid. Apparantly 50 per cent of women over fifty have them and because they increase the surface area of the uterus heavy bleeding is inevitable. The only treetment is hormones and I understand they shrink in post menopausal women. Hope this helps.
Take care.
K.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »

Some women in your position have an endometrial ablation (the womb lining is scraped) - but I'm not sure what the indications are for this. You sound like a good candidate but the Mirena may also do the same job as suggested.

Hurdity x

Mary1962

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 12:39:46 AM »

Thanks all :)  I was referred for an ultrasound and results back today - one small fibroid which doctor/radiologist don't seem too concerned about which is good as doctor said 'common'.  But do have thickened lining, 16mm in some places, 4mm in others - I am getting long gaps between periods (8 weeks instead of 4) though so assuming/hoping :( this is just lining build up over that length of time but have got a 5 week follow up scan to see what change - I'm underway with next period so hopefully some of that will have dispersed by the time I'm re-scanned!  Though hoping if you've seen my other post about my scan that I don't get the same radiologist!  I am also going to scale back on any oestrogen sources in my diet and other bad stuff to see if it helps also. 

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 04:11:41 AM »

My symptoms are very similar to yours.  I have just gone 7 weeks between periods and I have now been bleeding for about 5 weeks, with no signs of it stopping.  I see my GP a week ago and have been referred for a scan, but am going back to see a different GP (mine is on holiday) on Monday as I am worried about my iron levels.

Can I ask were your iron levels affected? and do your periods stop on their own or did the GP give you something to stop them?

Mary1962

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »

TC the doctor gave me a prescription for tranexamic acid but the next period though 8 weeks since the previous one was much better - a week of sort of nothing and then what I would call a normal period for me.  I've had low ferritin for a while - my worst 2 years ago was 8, then I've got it back up to late teens and at one point into the 20s but now it's hovering around the 18 mark.  I took ferrous fumerate but my stomach didn't like it so moved to Spatone which was much easier to take. I will be having another blood test in May as they want to check it in 6 months.  I've had two scans now and have a fibroid and a polyp which they don't seem concerned about but due to my lining being thicker than it should I've got a gynae appt in March for another ultrasound and possibly a biopsy if they think required. 

Shazzie

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:21:59 AM »

I went through terrible flooding last year.  I don't know what I would have done without Tranexamic Acid.  I couldn't have left the house without them I know that.

Hope you do ok on the Tranexamic Acid.

Shazzie xx