Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hurdity Help  (Read 3061 times)

bev567901

Hurdity Help
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »

Hi Hurdity you seem to be the one in the know. A saviour on MM. I have an appt tomorrow morning at CBT & it is the day the doctor is in house & it seems to be easier to get feedback re meds than my GP who quite frankly pushed me to the point of no return after 9 mths of going back & forth. I started peri symptoms in the New year 2013  (I am 50) earlier/irregular periods after being straight 28 days forever with no help from the pill etc. Changes in bowel habits, palpitations, bladder problems, hair loss, feeling sweaty, bad head then it lead to nausea, anxiety & depression, not going out, insomnia. I withdrew from my world of friends. I have young kids as well as an elder daughter & no problems with elderly parents or feeling bereft for any reason. Yes I am 50 but was fighting fit & going places. Making a living & enjoying my life.
I have been on an AD, diazepam & zopiclone since Sept.  I want to ask for some hormone treatment as well. What do you think I should ask for? my blood test for hormones came back fine which I now know is normal & symptoms should be treated.   
I know this is a big ask but do you have a medication you could recommend. I know HRT is difficult & every lady reacts differently. I always said when I reached the meno I would take everything going but had no idea it would be anything like this. I thought periods just stopped & you got hot end of. How stupid of me. Thank you Bev x   

Hurdity

Re: Hurdity Help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »

Hi bev - I missed this post as I've been out all day and you wanted a reply before this morning. I think others were put off posting because it was just my name in the title so if you need a reply to something, then I suggest make the title about your question or issue and then one of the many knowledgeable and experienced women will reply. There's always someone about!  If you want to ask  someone something specifically - best to send a pm to her, because then it comes through to their e-mails.

Hope you got on OK with the doc.

The thing is I am not the best person to advise on HRT while you are on all those other meds as I have no experience of them at all - I have never taken anything like these, so it's difficult to know what's causing or helping what, I would have thought, and how the meds all interact together.

My thoughts would be did you start all these meds as you became peri-menopausal or have you always needed them - or maybe you suffered from pms and were given them then?

If it's hormones at the root of your problems then only hormones will make you feel better.

Re HRT I would always recommend transdermal HRT (patch or gel) and separate progesterone (micronised progesterone in the form of Utrogestan) rather than another tablet HRT. However it is a matter of preference - but you've got a lot going through your system already and the liver has to deal with them first.

Ideally if your other issues (ie why you take all the meds) are hormone related I would look to gradually coming off them all - maybe one at a time and then replacing with hormones.

I don't want to make assumptions about your life so apologies if I am way off the mark here.

Don't worry - that's exactly what I thought too re menopause! I had no idea about any of it and hadn't read or thought about it. Why would I until it hit me?!

Maybe change the title of the thread and then report back on how you got on and others will probably read and comment!

Hurdity x

bev567901

Re: Hurdity Help
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »

Its ok Hurdity they couldn't help but I now have the number of a meno clinic about an hour away so will ring them tomorrow. Apart from a blip in the 90's I haven't had issues with anxiety & that was when a lot was going on. These meds are all new to me since Sept this year. Thank you for replying though & taking the time. I might even post the clinic up if they seem ok for anyone near to me. Bev x