Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Lurking in the freezer!  (Read 10741 times)

bramble

Lurking in the freezer!
« on: October 27, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »

I was cleaning out my freezer the other day and it got me thinking of what other people have in their's. Apart from the usual veg' ice-cream and bread etc , I always have:

chopped celery (for soups and bolognaises)
chopped peppers (for chillis)
whole chillis
sliced lemons and limes (to pop into a glass of coke)
frozen shortcrust pastry (in case I feel like making some coconut tarts)

What do you have that is a bit out of the ordinary?

Bramble

andius

Re: Lurking in the freezer!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:15:11 PM »

I just bought these last week and haven't tried them yet.......Frozen banana slices dipped in dark chocolate. Unfortunately I am not at home right now or I would go try one this very minute!  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »

Just normal stuff at the moment as not long since I defrosted it, but when I did, I found frozen bananas. Yum yum.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »

Homemade melon sorbet which tastes nice. Just a pity about the colour.....it glows in the dark  ;D

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »

Would never think to freeze bananas .....

Chillies from last year
Tomatoes/plums/apple sauce from last year
Bird food ready to de-frost when the Winter weather is bad ........
It's the peas at the bottom that get free of their bags that i don't understand  ;D

bramble

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:31:41 PM »

Bird food ready to de-frost when the Winter weather is bad ........

What kind of bird food CLKD? Do you mean bread?
B.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 03:44:47 PM »

Bread; old melted fat in ball shapes; old grated cheese .........

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 06:27:31 PM »

We had a dead dormouse we found in the orchard in there for years but I think it's gone now -  unless still lurking in the bottom    (not to eat I hasten to add ;D ). This is an ancient deep chest freezer almost 30 years old...

Umm... I also have blackcurrant puree from about 15 years ago which I made from cooking up the blackcurrants which defrosted in the freezer while we were away on a two week holiday and came back to find everything floating about!! I rescued things I thought rescuable and then abandoned them in there!

Also a few (whole) lobsters and crabs from the sea

We always forget to put a date on things.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »

Did anyone par boil in the early days of freezer use?  Don't bother now, bung it into a plastic bag and straight into the chest freezer.  We are on our 3rd now, had an upright model for a few short weeks after the 1st went west - but couldn't get on with that at all so traded it in at Iceland ..... usually buy their ex-stock models

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 11:34:46 AM »

Not too much at the moment as we're about to take delivery of some beef very shortly.  My brother-in-law who is a chef had two veal calves growing for him, named Tasty and Delicious - they've been hanging for a few weeks and went to the butcher yesterday for the first cut. B-I-L will do the final butchering over the weekend and we get half a cow for the freezer - they were almost 9 months old by the time they went to slaughter so not quite veal and as they were boy cows they would have been killed soon after birth anyway - this way they had a lovely few months living outside in the fields :)

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »

Lots of veal calves are now not slaughtered until around eight months GG although I think it is unusual for them to be reared in the field. At least as you say they had a good, if short, life and it's better than being exported abroad to some of the less caring veal producers.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »

Most UK veal is reared in barns .......... rather than in the dark in crates as they were until recently.  We ate a lot of veal in France years ago  ::) .......... we never named our animals for slaughter but the breeding stock had names ...... the Hereford bull was always 'Thomas'  ;)