Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Advice needed - neighbours  (Read 16985 times)

honeybun

Re: Advice needed - neighbours
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »

Never heard of that law CLKD. Is it in English law only. I think it nonsense. Some days I don't walk my dog, in fact in the winter if we have days on end of rain she just does not get walked. She hates the rain and despite having her own coat just refuses to budge. We have a reasonable size garden and she can go out whenever she wants. So if it was the law here then I am guilty.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »

I hope that you don't think I am nonsense?  :-\   A Law was amended: in 2008 I think : .......... my brain is so addled that I can't remember which but words were added in order to try to avoid dogs in particular being shut up for hours alone, or chained in yards rather than being exercised.  Probably in the early hours I will remember  ::)  .......... I know my spaniel would see what the cat was doing, if he stayed indoors she was reluctant to go for a walk ....... I think she could smell the rain  :D  .......

The RSPCA still however, say that it is OK to have a dog chained, alone for hours on end as long as there is shelter and fresh water  :'(

Here we are: suddenly came to me  -   " Animal Welfare Act 2006 " - haven't had time to scan through it yet  ::)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:23:29 PM by CLKD »

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »

I will have a look as I can't quite believe it and if it is a law it is nonsense.

How on earth do you enforce that. How about all the little old ladies (my mother included) who can't walk their companion dogs. These dogs are treated better than most children.

Absolute rubbish.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »

Are you thinking of this CLKD http://www.endangereddogs.com/DogLaw_Welfare.htm 

Taz

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 06:05:53 PM »

That all sounds great to me.

Don't see the walking bit though.

My mother's dog is blind and does really well in her own environment but when you take her out on the lead she panics. She is happy pottering around the garden sniffing all the smells and with the wind in her hair. No walks but one happy contented unwalked little dog.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »

I couldn't see anything about having to walk a dog either although, obviously, for most dogs they do love to get out and about but as you say, Honeybun, how on earth would it be policed?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 07:52:36 PM »

Perhaps another thread, I didn't mean to start controversy  :-\

What will PennyFarthing decide to do?  Is it a shared area where the dog leaves mess?  Was the property let via an agent or directly with the owners?  If directly then speaking with them first; let them know that there is a problem with a potential to become an environmental health dept. issue?

bramble

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »

I know this does not help but.......... I had neighbours once who had 3 big dogs (great danes), 1 medium size dog, multiple cats, a rabbit, some birds and a sheep! And they all did their business in their back garden which was about 15feet by 12 feet. The sheep was lonely so they bought it a goat to keep it company. I kid you not! They never cleaned up after the animals so you can imagine the smell! The Environment people were not interested - they told me to contact the SSPCA. Fortunately they moved........
Bramble

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »

The area is at the front of the house CLKD

"We have lived here for about 22 years and its very quiet and we love it.  However, the couple they have rented to have a large German Shepherd (young one) and no garden.  All they have is a small area about 3 feet wide and maybe 15 feet long in front of the house.  There is a wall about 3  ft high separating it from the lane.   They let the dog in that tiny area while they are outside smoking but it's not on a lead and now it's got used to its new home its barking if I walk past or am on my drive.  It's also jumping up and putting its feet on the wall"

Taz x

bev567901

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »

My boy dachshunds have five legs so won't go out in the rain or snow  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lily

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »

Difficult one, but here's what I would do:

If like here, council libraries and leisure centres have dog poo bags which are free - collect some for them and give to them saying since they are new to the area you picked up some for them and advise where to get them.  You could ask a bit about the dog at the same time, so they don't think you are unfriendly, but at least with the woman not trying to be friendly, you don't have to worry about upsetting them, it would be more difficult if you were scared of hurting their feelings.  In my experience of dogs they bark because they are frightened or are protecting their territory, but most dogs like to be talked to so you could try talking to it to get it used to you without having to go as far as clapping it.

star35

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »

Hi i have a property that i rent out, and i certainly would like to know if my tennants were upsetting the neighbours. Although i would not allow pets as some peoples idea of cleaning is differant to others. Hopefully the land lord would talk to these people about your concerns. He may be glad to hear from you as they may be neglecting his property. There are so many rules as regards what landlords can and cant do now adays it could be difficult for him to remove them befor the end of their contract, but most landlords only rent for six months to start with until they get to know the tennant. Hopefully he will understand your problem and if he does speak to them they in return will also understand. Have you thought what you would do if the people living there owned it and were not renting it, as you wouldnt then have a third party to go to you would have to speak to them direct.Good luck with what ever you decide to do as it isnt a nice postion to be in.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 10:22:52 AM »

Thanks Taz ........... lots of good pointers here. 

Big dogs will lean on walls in order to have a good sniff of the air and to see what is on the other side.   ::)  small ones will jump to see if they ever get to see over the top - our Great Dane only needed to lean her head on the wall  ;) ..........

Wish I lived closer  :-\

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 09:59:35 AM »

Hubby says they have cleaned up most of the mess.  Why wait until there is such a huge build up?  I just don't get it.  No doubt the same thing will happen again.

I am still deciding what to do.  I really feel I will have to contact the landlord because I never see them so can't discuss it with them.  Hubby seems to think that they are just glad to have the rent money coming in every month and won't be bothered but I really feel threatened by this great dog when it's out there.  Last night I went out and had to get in my car and drive within  about 3 feet of it and it watches me like a hawk and there is no way I would dare to walk past it. 

Limpy

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »

Pennyfarthing - you haven't been able to speak to your neighbours so I think you have to speak to the landlord. It's not right that you are getting threatened while you walk on YOUR drive. Citizens advice bureau may have some ideas or the RSPCA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3