Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Advice needed - neighbours  (Read 16986 times)

Pennyfarthing

Advice needed - neighbours
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »

There is a cottage next to our house which was sold a few months ago and is now rented out.  When the owners were buying us they popped us a note through and asked us to ring them re a few questions they had about the property and we (being nice neighbours :)) rang them and helped as much as we could.

We have lived here for about 22 years and its very quiet and we love it.  However, the couple they have rented to have a large German Shepherd (young one) and no garden.  All they have is a small area about 3 feet wide and maybe 15 feet long in front of the house.  There is a wall about 3  ft high separating it from the lane.   They let the dog in that tiny area while they are outside smoking but it's not on a lead and now it's got used to its new home its barking if I walk past or am on my drive.  It's also jumping up and putting its feet on the wall. 

Although I have always had dogs I am really scared of large dogs I don't know and barking ones even more so.  We have said hello to them  - he says hello but she doesn't even look at us and goes indoors. One day my hubby mentioned to the guy that there are some lovely walks around here but  we've never seen them take the dog out.  I counted 8 BIG dog poos in that little area today. >:(

I am cross that the landlords allowed them to live there with no garden and a huge dog and I am worried in case the dog jumps over the wall at me.  I will die on the spot!   Because she is not approachable I can't really speak to her and tell her I am worried.  I have a phone number for the owner but hubby seems to think they will just say hard luck.  Any ideas welcome.

honeybun

Re: Advice needed - neighbours
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »

I wish I could come up with a great idea for you but to my mind you have three options.
Phone the landlord and tell him your concerns.
Speak to the man next door and try and make friends with the dog and then you could be met with a waggy tail rather than a bark. Also carry some doggy treats and throw one for the dog so it chases it and you become a welcome sight.
Lastly, build a fence so you can't see the dog and it can't see you.

As long as it's doing its duties in its own garden and not yours that's a bonus.

Having rubbish neighbours can be hell. I do know...I sold my last place because of all the trouble I had. It would have made your hair curl.

Honeyb
X

andius

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »

Sorry to hear you are having problems.  They must be getting annoyed at their own dog being cooped up in a small area also...if not now, then probably soon.  An unhappy, barking dog can be a nuisance.

I like honeybun's idea of the dog treat!  At least the dog might stop barking at you and annoying you when you are out.

The landlord's probably won't have much control unless they  can evict them, which may be prevented by law for this sort of thing?  But, maybe they don't even know that they have a dog, or it could be denied in the lease?  In that case, you will be informing the landlord of something they need to know.

A

bev567901

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »

I would phone the owners. Most rentals don't allow pets these days. My husband looks after quite a few for the owner who is abroad & non take pets but they all sneak them in. They will get a letter saying to remove the dog or leave. Take a photo of all the poo too as it will prove to the landlord that they are not looking after the house, it will all get trodden back inside. Don't feel bad these people will probably not stay long anyway. Its not like they have bought the place & you have to put up with them forever.  I think you will be doing the owner a favour. B x

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »

Your post took me back to the early 90s, when the neighbours who shared our drive acquired 2 dogs. They were allowed to wander and foul in the drive, the road outside and even got into our garden. My children were young and I was constantly cleaning shoes. I have a problem with faeces anyway, so it was a nightmare. I complained, but got nowhere. I investigated getting help from the local council environmental department. I was told I had to have photographic evidence eg. the dog pooing and that the neighbours would be informed that I was the one complaining. In other words, they didn't want to know. Eventually, thank goodness, they moved. The new neighbours moved in with a fierce looking Doberman. My heart sank. I thought the problems would start again, but the first thing they did was put up high fences and dog proofed their garden. The dog was lovely.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »

Thanks for all your suggestions.  We saw the ad for the house online and it did say dss and pets considered so that in itself was a warning to us of what we might expect. 

I don't want to start throwing chews for the dog because the owners might not want it being fed and also that would mean I would always have to carry some ..... Imagine if one day I had none to give it!!

Because of the position of the house it would not be possible for them to put fences or anything higher up but that dog could be over there in a flash if it wanted to. 

It's a private lane so no traffic goes through here ... We might just get a delivery van now and then. However a lot of people walk through here every day to get to the churchyard, school, shops etc so I am hoping that if it scares other people they will say something.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »

I am not brave enough to try befriending it but dd did try.  It just growled at her so I've told her not to try again.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »

10 big piles of dogs mess today which is literally just a few feet away from my drive and where I get in and out of my car.

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:20:07 AM »

Get the hose out and hose it down do it if you can when they are home
If they come out smile and say sorry but doggy poos make me sick and smile
Id be carrying tits bits not everytime but enough for the dog to know you
I they complain say nicely your scared and tohught getting to know the dog better
Would be better than informing RSCPA it cant get worse failing that complain to CBA

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 07:27:05 AM »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »

A lot of discussion about neighbour's dog poo on Netmums http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/house-garden-194/garden-plants-animals-610/714610-neighbour-reported-dog-poop-back-garden-all.html

Taz

Thank you Taz - am wading my way through that!  Someone mentioned Environmental Health maybe I could speak to them.  My gut instinct is to speak to the Landlords but DH seems to think they'll tell me to get lost.  I do believe in nipping probs in the bud.  I can only see this getting worse.  In the warmer weather this mess will stink.  I am even wondering whether the Landlords know they have such a huge dog in a property with no garden to speak of. 

As my DD said, how can that big dog weave in and out of the poos when it's ready to do another one?  It will soon be treading it in to the house and I know for sure the landlord had the carpet replaced in the lounge before they moved in. 

bev567901

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 09:19:44 AM »

I have five mini dachshunds penny farthing & if I didn't pick up straight away they would be treading in it & bringing it in which is just horrible. Sounds like the dog is coming straight into the carpet area too if its out at the front of the house so no bleachabale floor. If it runs to bark at people it will not be looking where it is going.....yuck!  This is my job so I am very used to poo but I say there is nothing worse than a poo with a doggy footprint in it or half a poo (other half eaten by doggy!) Bev x

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »

Dogs generally avoid their own mess if they can.

It's really not nice for you but I don't think you would have much luck with environmental health.
In my last house....well it was a flat, there was a courtyard next to my private bit of garden. The courtyard was shared by quite a few flats. It was a Victorian property and the rights of way were very confused. The courtyard was where the bins were kept. One neighbour thought it was just fine not to use her bin and food was just thrown in the general direction. I asked nicely for months but eventually got in touch with EH. They had a word but that was it. She cleared up for a bit and then was back to her old ways.
The sad thing is some people just don't care. They are happy to live like that and no matter what we say nothing happens.
Can you find out from the landlord how long they are staying for.
You might only have to put up with it for 6 months.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »

Why don't you make a call to environmental health just to see what the position is?  You would then know whether to contact the landlord or not. It would save all of this worrying as to what to do and who might say what? At least you would know where you stand legally.

Taz  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 12:01:51 PM »

By Law they should take the dog for walks daily.  Dogs have to be kept and allowed to follow what they would do 'naturally', apparently  ::)  Wish I lived closer <sigh> as I am never afraid of large dogs and would soon have this one particularly if it is young, eating out of my hand and not eating my hand  ;)

When they are in the garden give a wave and ask more questions about the dog.  How old, were there many in the litter, were they all the same colouring, do they clean the dog's teeth    ........   most owners like to talk about 'our' dogs  :D  ........ also have a word with the owners of the property to see if they are aware of such a large dog in a small space.  Are they English speaking, perhaps that is why the woman disappears inside if her English skills are poor, or perhaps she thinks you are going to complain  ::)

You could also ask your local Vet to come along and befriend the dog over the fence, the owners don't nee dto know he/she is a Vet. but it will give you an idea as to how friendly this GS is likely to be.  However, I would be pretty miffed if a dog barked at me when I was in my garden   ..........
Pages: [1] 2 3