Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: what should I do ?  (Read 3349 times)

rosie c

what should I do ?
« on: October 25, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »

Went to see my Gp this week hoping to be given Hrt... only to be told my issues were probably not hormonal. My issues were : weight gain, hot flushes, low mood, tiredness, acheness, etc etc. the problem was, the previous week  she did a few blood tests to rule  out other stuff  ( was pleased about this ) but also did a hormone profile which  she said, came back as normal !! "So its not your hormones !! So im not giving you Hrt !!" never mind that I have been on it before. The doctor thinks my problems relate to my fibromyalgia. God, i am so frustrated. I am 49  so my hormones must be doing something..... just not on the day the blood was taken ! (Still having regular periods.) Do you think I should go back and insist ?  I wanted to try a oestrogen gel and have utrogestan. Should I see the doctor that prescribed hrt for me before ? Any ladies out there with fibro and feeling better on hrt ?? your opinions needed. thanks x :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: what should I do ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »

Blood tests are notoriously un-reliable and my Gynae refuses to do them for meno.  Hormone levels can alter hourly so they do not give a 'true' reading.

I would make an appt. to see the GP who gave you treatment before.  Let us know how you get on!

rosie c

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »

Thanks CLKD... Its the same old thing .. when you are with the doctor they are so forthright about what they are telling you, I didnt feel like I could contradict it. Can hormones really alter hourly? if thats  the case, a blood test is really useless then !!

Tabbycat

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »

I had peri-meno symptoms for years but had several "normal" blood tests. It wasn't till my periods stopped that my hormone levels were visibly lower.

Can you go back and see a different GP?

rosie c

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »

I will Tabbycat ... thank you. It just floored me because I was so sure this Gp would be understanding and knowledgeable. I will go back and see the other lady doctor who gave me hrt a while ago. I stopped because the bloody patches were constantly falling off, and I was sure I wasnt get the correct dose. xx

andius

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 03:22:23 AM »

Go back to the other doctor who gave you the patches and put some of the extra tape on them to keep them on you!

Any hormones you get from the patch is better than nothing.

Andius

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »

rosie c I would ask for a print-out of your actual readings of the blood tests, and especially thyroid levels. What doctors say is normal in this country may still cause symptoms and I understand low grade thyroid deficiency is more common than recognised and can lead to fibromyalgia syndrome ie the symptoms. I read this on thyroid uk website and I also have a friend who has thyroid problems (takes replacement thyroid medication)  and intermittent fibromyalgia when her hormone levels are wrong.

I'm not saying it isn't oestrogen deficiency - but try to get the actual readings to better understand what might be happening to you. Also if thyroid was tested whether it was TSH or full thyroid (ie including T3 & T4). I know very little about it but just think it's worth investigating further.

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »

Rosie - have a look at the post I started  on Anything menopause. - Handling your GP re: HRT - might be helpful?   DG x

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »

Found this rosie c   http://www.fmnetnews.com/latest-news/can-estrogen-help-fibromyalgia-pain

I am on estrogen and have not found that  it helped much with aches and pains, but I do know that if I have an awful night sleep I really hurt the next day.

It could be that hormones can help you sleep better, so that you don't have so much pain with fibro, there is definitely a connection with sleep and fibromyalgia.