Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: CYCLOGEST PESSARIES - What's your experience?  (Read 7416 times)

2cats

CYCLOGEST PESSARIES - What's your experience?
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:58:39 AM »

Hi all,

I went to the drs on Friday for different patches (sticking probs with Femseven) and came away with Oestrodot 50mcg and Cyclogest pessaries (I had asked for Utrogesten ...don't ask me what happened there!) 
So my question to MM ladies is How have you found using them? 

Thanks in advance,
 :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: CYCLOGEST PESSARIES - What's your experience?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »

There is rumour that Utrogestron are being dis-continued  :o

andius

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »

CLKD- I thought that was the ortho gynest pessaries...maybe I misunderstood?...we don't have these available in US.

Andius

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »

2cats - I've answered in detail about Cyclogest (which I used for 4 years) on your other thread here because it came up in my unread posts first:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22286.0.html

CLKD!!!! Utrogestan is not being discontinued!!!!! You're confusing people!!!!

Utrogestan - is  - progesterone capsules used mainly orally but some of us use them vaginally because we don't like oral HRT

Cyclogest are progesterone waxy pessaries - not licensed for use as the prog part of HRT - but sometimes prescribed.   

Both of the above are bio-identical progesterone taken in menopause to protect the womb lining from thickening while taking oestrogen as HRT.

The ones you are talking about and that you use (I understand) are Orthogynest pessaries - also wax based just like Cyclogest but the active ingredient is completely different. However these are oestrogen pessaries, and the oestrogen in them is estriol - and are used as a topical or local oestrogen for VA. Sadly - these are the ones we have heard are being discontinued  :(

Hurdity x

2cats

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

Thanks so much for your replies (in both places Hurdity).  Well I've been using the pessaries for 12 nights now and started my period on the 11th day which is 4 weeks since my last one started so guessing this is about right?? (though for some reason I thought my period would come after I had stopped using the pessaries).

On that point - should I use all 15 pessaries in the pack or stop after no 12? 

I seem to be very irritable with my husband atm though don't feel particularly bad around other people, just him!  Poor sod....I thought this progesterone was a kinder one??

On a plus point my daily headaches have completely disappeared and my shoulder and arm pain is almost non-existent!! I'd love to know how progesterone makes a difference...

Thanks again,
 :D

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:19:28 PM »

Hi 2cats - I can't remember how far into menopause you are? My bleeds on Cyclogest and utrogestan always came (and still do) after stopping the prog - but I guess I must have been nearly post-meno when I started HRT so my cycle didn't ever break through. I'm not sure what to advise re continuing - I mean if you use them vaginally then I can't see much of the prog getting through as your lining is already coming away. If rectally then theoretically some will get through.

The main way progesterone works is to convert the lining from proliferative (growing) to secretory (getting ready for egg) and I know you need sufficient prog related to the amount of oestrogen otherwise it doesn't all come away. If it's a tablet there is no problem.

Having said that when I used Cyclogest I was only prescribed it for 11 days - but it was 400 mg ie two x 200 mg capsules - can't remember what yours was?

Yes this progesterone is the same as the one in your body but some women react to any kind of progesterone and it does have a sedative effect at best, and more depressive side effects at worst. The irritability is often felt as the progesterone declines - as pmt - although some feel it all the time on prog. It may well be that your cycle is causing this.

Some pms/pmt is only to be expected on cyclical HRT because we are perpetuating some of the hormone fluctuations ( even though oestrogen is constant).

Glad to hear your headaches have gone - sounds like the progestogen didn't agree with you in the Femseven?

I haven't really answered your question have I?!!

Hurdity x  :)