Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Current dose not enough - for Hurdity or someone else in the know  (Read 5691 times)

Dandelion

Following from this thread, where the doctor gave me femoston conti in error, when she should have given me femoston sequi - Doctor said, I am allowed to take the conti until I can get my correct meds on monday.

The problem is, the dose is not high enough to cover my flushes and anxiety, and so I was wondering if it would be ok to take two a day instead of one, just till I can get my correct meds.

The conti is lower dose than the sequi, but it is insufficient to cover my symptoms.
I don't want another weekend feeling like this.

Thanks

Taz2

Re: Current dose not enough - for Hurdity or someone else in the know
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »

How long have you been on this one Dandelion - flushes can stop within a couple of days when using patches but with pills it can take quite a lot longer.

Taz

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »

It's only been a few days really and its unrealistic to expect every symptom to go at once. It can take up to three months to get the full benefit. I really would not advise doubling your pills. You could end up feeling much worse.
I understand your impatience for something to make you feel better but you have to give it time.
Your symptoms will take time to settle even when you are on your different medication.

Honeyb
X

Dandelion

Thanks more questions please, sorry.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 12:48:11 PM »

Hi, thanks

The symptoms got better yesterday, but got worse again today.
Thanks for letting me know doubling up may make it worse, but the conti is only 0.5mg estradiol and 2.5mg progesterone, yet the one I will be going onto next week is higher dose.

As the sequi is higher dose anyway, does this still mean that doubling up on the conti will cause problems?
Hurdity said I could take the conti while they sort out my correct meds.

Thanks

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »

I still would not double up without asking your GP. You are talking about two days. A high oestrogen dose can cause feelings of nausea for some so best just to stick with what you have for one other day.
I think perhaps yesterday was a coincidence as pills are slower to work than patches and you probably would not see much difference so soon.

Honeyb
X

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »

I still would not double up without asking your GP. You are talking about two days. A high oestrogen dose can cause feelings of nausea for some so best just to stick with what you have for one other day.
I think perhaps yesterday was a coincidence as pills are slower to work than patches and you probably would not see much difference so soon.

Honeyb
X
Many thanks.

andius

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 01:28:40 PM »

It is probably a good idea to stay on the lower dose (not double up) until you get the other med.  Look at it this way...  You are tapering up so your body will have a chance to adjust.  Just hang in there with it.

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »

It is probably a good idea to stay on the lower dose (not double up) until you get the other med.  Look at it this way...  You are tapering up so your body will have a chance to adjust.  Just hang in there with it.
Thanks but I dont want another sweaty anxious morning.
Would it really do harm if i just took two a day to get me through the wknd?
I was great yestday, well, not fully recoverd, but a lot better than this morning.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »

I wouldn't double it up. You need to give it much longer to know if it is going to work. Which sequi have you been given?

Taz

Dandelion

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 04:26:30 PM »

I wouldn't double it up. You need to give it much longer to know if it is going to work. Which sequi have you been given?

Taz
Femoston.
She specifically told me she would give me a prescription with progesterone included in the second half of the cycle.
When I looked at mine, I had been given Femoston Conti. There was info on the leaflet which said only for post menopausal women and not to take if you have had a period in the last twelve months.
This confused me, because of what we had discussed in our appt, and I came on here, which is where I was told i had been given the wrong femoston as i am having periods still.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 04:38:51 PM »

Two days is not going to make much difference to how you feel Dandelion. The sweats will not disappear within that time even if you do take double pills. You will also be doubling up on the progesterone. At the minute you are taking 0.5mg of oestradiol (I think) and 2.5 of dydrogesterone. If you double up the tablets for a couple of days and then start on the oestrogen only pills with the new prescription your body will suddenly be deprived of 5mg of progesterone daily which would probably cause you to bleed. I think this is right.

Taz

Dandelion

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »

Two days is not going to make much difference to how you feel Dandelion. The sweats will not disappear within that time even if you do take double pills. You will also be doubling up on the progesterone. At the minute you are taking 0.5mg of oestradiol (I think) and 2.5 of dydrogesterone. If you double up the tablets for a couple of days and then start on the oestrogen only pills with the new prescription your body will suddenly be deprived of 5mg of progesterone daily which would probably cause you to bleed. I think this is right.

Taz
Hi

Aww dissappointing.
The fan is taking too much space up on my little makeshift bedside table. :(

Thanks though

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 07:40:05 PM »

Maybe a bigger bedside table then until the HRT kicks in properly?  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »

Hi there Dandelion - I've been away but the others are just as knowlegdeable. Do send me a pm if you want to ask me something specifically but otherwise we all just help wherever we can and there is a heap of knowledge and experience on here

I agree with the others -

As Taz says - increasing oestrogen won't stop flushes overnight, although personally I wouldn't worry about increasing the progesterone even though it would be likely to preciptate a bleed when you stop - if you double it then you could just carry on taking them (the conti) for a couple of weeks when it would be about 5 weeks or so since your last period - and then start on the sequi. Not sure what your doc would make of this though! You have been given the ultra low dose one.

Also as andius says you are tapering up gradually which is the best way to acclimatise especially to oral oestrogen, and most women don't do this because are given the main dose straight away.

You will feel the benefits soon I am sure!

Hurdity x

Dandelion

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 09:29:17 PM »

Hi there Dandelion - I've been away but the others are just as knowlegdeable. Do send me a pm if you want to ask me something specifically but otherwise we all just help wherever we can and there is a heap of knowledge and experience on here

I agree with the others -

As Taz says - increasing oestrogen won't stop flushes overnight, although personally I wouldn't worry about increasing the progesterone even though it would be likely to preciptate a bleed when you stop - if you double it then you could just carry on taking them (the conti) for a couple of weeks when it would be about 5 weeks or so since your last period - and then start on the sequi. Not sure what your doc would make of this though! You have been given the ultra low dose one.

Also as andius says you are tapering up gradually which is the best way to acclimatise especially to oral oestrogen, and most women don't do this because are given the main dose straight away.

You will feel the benefits soon I am sure!
Hurdity x

Hi Hurdity

I appreciate your offer of a pm, and will send you one if I get a question I specifically want to ask you.

I no longer want to double my conti-dose, because I will be on the sequi tomorrow, as my reason for asking to double the conti was because I thought it should kick in straight away, but have since been told otherwise.

Taz - I don't have a suitable bedside table, so I am improvising with an old unused computer tower. lol

Thanks for your help.