Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Need help. Bleeding after oestrogen use  (Read 2992 times)

Rose

Need help. Bleeding after oestrogen use
« on: October 26, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »

Okay, I've given in and honestly am going out of my mind with worry. I was given bio identical oestrogen cream for VA. My stomach swelled alarmingly and the doc told me to stop using it after 1 month which I did last Sat (a week ago) but started bleeding on Wed. It's just like a period and haven't had one of them for 10 years. Have ultrasound scan booked for this Wed but am so worried. I have been taking Kilogest for a long time and am wondering if the sudden drop in oestrogen is causing this bleed. Would be so grateful if anyone has any idea why this is happening.
Rose.

andius

Re: Need help. Bleeding after oestrogen use
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:28:41 PM »

I agree with you, possibly this could be a withdrawal bleed from the estrogen in the cream? Good thing to have this checked out as you are doing.

A

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »

Hi Rose

It does sound possible but it depends on what the oestrogen cream is. The only cream we have in this country is Estriol cream (also bio-identical) but this would neither have the stomach effect nor induce a bleed if you stopped - especially as you are already taling hRT.

What is the cream and how much estradiol does it contain? Do you have the leaflet that comes with it ro can you link to it?

Hurdity x

Rose

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »

The cream comes from a compounding chemist and is 4mg of Eastraiol of which I had to insert 1mg per day. It just seems strange that the bleeding started when I came off cream and my stomach is back to normal. Just worried and wondered if anyone had similar problems. Thanks for replying ladies!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »

Hi Rose

Is it Estriol or Estradiol and how much of the active ingredient (ie the estradiol or estriol) is in each dose - there must be a leaflet or instructions telling you what you've got, what it's supposed to do and how long to use it for?

If it's estradiol then it could well be the cause of bleeding if the dose is higher than Vagifem. Is it supposed to be used just for vaginal issues or absorbed as full HRT?

We don't have anything like this so I can't help but sounds like you'd be better off using a propritary brand  unless they don't make them in Oz. I am very suspicious of compounding pharmacies and in UK we don't do this as there is a lot of choice as to what is available  (admittedly with room for improvement on some products!)

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »

It def sounds like it is related to the drop in oestrogen after stopping the cream, same thing happens to me if i forget even one dose of oestrogel, but just get a scan and you will have peace of mind, I am also not in favour of the compounded creams, my Dr said tha they are not strong enough esp the progesterone one to oppose the oestrogen, I am not sure about using them for VA but am talking more about for HRT, what I do know is that our bodies, well mine, in particular, is very sensitive to fluctuating levels of hormones and often throws out a bleed if I dont keep things consistent, all the best and try not to worrry too much, I know we always end up thinking the worse, but you will be fine.