Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Does anyone now feel empathy with their own mother?  (Read 3857 times)

bev567901

Does anyone now feel empathy with their own mother?
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »

When I was in my late teens & still living at home my mum had a hysterectomy. It must have been about 1980'ish. She had fibroids I think & flooding. It wasn't something we talked about in those days. I know they took everything away in those days. She started getting poorly, they diagnosed a hiatius hernia then it slowly became apparent it was nothing of the sort & she had huge anxiety/depression symptoms as everything had been taken away & no hormones where given. I can't remember if she got AD's, It was hidden from me but I remember her having this massive wobbler on the landing one morning like a breakdown & being ushered back to bed by my dad. I must speak to her, I have told her nothing about what is happening with me yet. Even years later when I got married she looks so ill & unhappy on the wedding photos she must have still been in a state. Maybe the way she was to me in my teens was not her & now I feel sorry for thinking she wasn't that good a mum. I was obviously a teenager & more interested in my spots & clothing etc but maybe this is why I got no help with things like what to do after a levels etc & some of the mean things she said to me. My one overriding memory is that because she was no longer going out & my Dad was doing the shopping for the family she had lots of housekeeping money left over as it was in those days. I remember her giving me what seemed a small fortune & I went off to Laura Ashley & bought this entire outfit, shoes the lot. Yet there she was having to follow my dad around, I remember one day he was cleaning the windows for her at the front of the house & she had to sit on a chair so she was near him must have been seperation anxiety. I can't say if bad menopause runs in the family as she had a hysterectomy but I wonder if it does or is it just the luck of the draw. B x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Does anyone now feel empathy with their own mother?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »

Sounds like she had panic attacks and your Dad was her base, or was she nagging him for not 'doing the windows her way'?   ::)  Only by talking to her will you find out - it may also give her some relief to tell you how it was.  She may have a lot of guilt or worry that she is thought of as a 'bad' mother.  How awful for everyone concerned  :'(

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »

Hello bev567901.
My mother had a hysterectomy in her mid forties to remove fibroids and an ovarian cyst, she was only treated after she was practically bedridden because of flooding.
I was nineteen and had no idea what she was going through. She never talked about her situation and all I remember was that it took her three months to recover from the operation.
What's the famous saying, 'The past is a different country, they do things differently there'. Very true.
Take care.
K.

andius

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »

I have often wondered what women did for VA back then when no local estrogen products were available to treat it.  My own mother and grandmother took oral hormones into their eighties.

Does anyone know what women did before hormones?  Surely they suffered from VA also?

Andius

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »

They just had to get on with it I guess. This give some interesting info on how menopause was treated http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1168710/The-mad-mad-menopause-LOUISE-FOXCROFT-charts-fascinating-gruesome-history-.html

Taz x

andius

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »

Very interesting Taz!!!!  Can you imagine being so desperate that you made an extract out of pigs ovaries to take for yourself?  I suppose she killed the pig and dissecting out the ovaries herself also!! :o :o  Sounds like the taboo over discussions of menopause have been held over from an earlier time.  I supposed if you complained about it  too much you might end up in an asylum.  When you look at all those pictures of older women in the 1800's, they always look mean....My husband says they aren't smiling because they have no teeth, but maybe there is more to it than that!

Andius

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »

Women had babies more regularly so probably their bodies didn't allow for meno symptoms or perhaps they died before it happened? 

Yep, ladies had their teeth removed around the time they were married.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 07:54:52 PM »

Where did you read that CLKD? Never heard of that one before although I have heard that a gummy woman can give a man a lot of pleasure...  :rofl:

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »

Presumably not by smiling at him Taz

;D ;)

Honeyb
X