Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trust me I'm a Doctor TV programme  (Read 13916 times)

Dyan

Trust me I'm a Doctor TV programme
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »

Did anyone see this tonight?
Professor Studd was on there putting across his positive views on HRT  :) and there was another professor who was mostly against it. >:(
His views are that if you have severe meno symptoms then a low dose HRT is beneficial but only take it for 5 years and anyone that has been on HRT for 5 years should come off it...........yeah right!!! >:(

jgr

Re: Trust me I'm a Doctor TV programme
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:01:17 PM »

I watched it as well, and it always amuses me that it is men giving advice on HRT/menopause.  ;D

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »

Yeah, what do they know? :-\ ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:23:35 PM »

I haven't seen the programme and yes it might seem amusing - but Prof Studd at least has spent years researching it so although he is not a woman at least he is (mostly) on our side and knows what he's talking about re female hormones.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »

I watched it but was sorry they didn't mention what happens after 60. Professor Studd said "Women using HRT between the ages of 50 and 60" and I wanted the interviewer to ask what about the older women!

Taz x

Meg

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 01:06:30 AM »

Taz

You are so right.  For many women symptoms just keep on.  Sweating, anxiety, insomnia, rage, dryness, nausea, etc etc.  So many have been told they will come through it but find after maybe a decade that it is still all carrying on and what are they to do at sixty when they are still suffering.

Meg

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:33:51 AM »

Didn't see the programme as I am not a fan, wish I had watched it all now. Can anyone name the other Professor?

I really can't see the  point of two so called eminent professors speaking for and against HRT.  These two men have extreme views on HRT.

Surely all it does is cause women to become more anxious and confused.

Also I thought HRT has been re valued and older women in some casers can take it over 60. I have read enough about this.

How can two men in about 5 minutes come to either conclusion when HRT and menopause is so much more complex.

Have just watched a few minutes on Catch up

I think the two opposing views are black and white and nothing in between. Professor Klim McPherson's  seemed to based on finding 10 years ago,

I didn't listen to both just a few mins  as have not time, but will later.

Go to the "Trust me I'm a doctor" site and you will be able to watch it in full.

I don't think I will be stopping my tiny dose of estrogen for my bones, also does he think the hormones women produce during their reproductive lives are dangerous for our health too and we are all ticking time bombs.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:12:15 AM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:57:42 AM »

It was Professor Klim Mcpherson SL and it was only a tiny part of the programme - it also covered the effect that planting lots more trees can have on pollution, a new treatment for migraine sufferers, something for allergy sufferers and also the effectiveness of probiotics as against a daily breakfast of porridge oats which appears to have the same effect.

You can watch it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03fglhb/Trust_Me_Im_A_Doctor_Episode_3/  You need to scroll to around 44 minutes for the HRT section.

Taz

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 08:05:45 AM »

Must admit Taz I did see the first part, but once it got to showing A&E I switched off and went to bed.

The reason I am not a fan is that they talk about new findings and treatments give people hope but not the means to get the treatments on cash strapped NHS.

Also the on about Botox and migraine is very old news, its been know about for years about for years, it had also been used for stroke victims.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:11:34 AM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 08:11:12 AM »

But just because you are clued up on it doesn't mean that everyone is SL so it might help others although I can see it wouldn't be of interest to yourself. Also not everyone watching will be an NHS patient so at least they will be given information allowing them to access something they were not aware of?

I record it and then fast forward through the parts I'm not interested in. :)

Taz

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »

Sorry - I didn't mean it to sound unfair! I just meant that it is surprising how many people have no idea at all about various treatments etc. and may benefit whereas you are very aware of all things to do with health and looking after yourself - something I am quite envious of because I don't look after me at all!

I meant it in a complimentary way!!

Taz  :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 02:46:16 PM »

"Trust Me I'm a Doctor" is the book written by Dr Phil., was he involved in this Programme?  His surname escapes me though  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »

Funnily enough I was next to a woman in the supermarket queue just now and she was flushing at the same time as me. We got chatting and I said I had been on HRT for six years but just come off it and she said she was 63 and had taken it for ten years but had been taken off it two years ago. I grumbled away about how it was unfair that at 60ish we had to come off and she said that she really had to argue with her docs once she got to 60 to stay on it. They explained all the risks to her and finally said it was her choice. A year later she had a heart attack so can no longer take it. The consultant was very "sniffy" when he came round to see her in hospital but wouldn't comment as to whether HRT had been a relevant factor. She is still sweating every half an hour - glad to be alive but sad not to be able to take HRT.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »

I think that full HRT may make Doctors more worried then low dose estrogen patches. It takes so little estrogen to protect bones and it seems that an 80 year old can go on HRT for their bones according to Professor Klim Mcpherson .

No woman regardless of age should be denied local vaginal estriol treatment at least, whatever the guidelines are.

As to a heart attack so many variable's contribute.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:39:19 PM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »

Very true SL. I believe it is combined HRT which leads to more stroke and heart attack risk? Might have got that wrong though!

Taz
Pages: [1] 2