Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT Breakthrough Report  (Read 3691 times)

Gypsy

HRT Breakthrough Report
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:59:26 AM »

Did any of you read the article in the Telegraph last week end about the breast cancer treatment in the form of an HRT pill?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10390268/Potential-breakthrough-for-breast-cancer-treatment.html

Rowan

Re: HRT Breakthrough Report
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:52:15 PM »

What I don't understand is - why they have developed these with horse oestrogens rather than estradiol? If they developed a pill with estradiol and the cancer blocking agent - bazedoxifene - this would be far far preferable. What is it with the US that they are still so keen on the horse oestrogens???? I just don't get it....

Hurdity x

Gypsy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »

Well, this is interesting! The Telegraph article trumpets that this new HRT pill has the potential to protect against breast cancer:

"Researchers believe the unique properties of the drug mean that if findings are confirmed in human trials, it could become the standard treatment to protect millions of women against breast cancer."

Then Silverlady's link about the same drug says:
"The use of estrogen-alone has been reported to result in an increase in abnormal mammograms requiring further evaluation. The effect of treatment with DUAVEE on the risk of breast and ovarian cancer is unknown."

!!!!!!!!!!!

Tingly

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 08:42:27 PM »

Tell me about it Gypsy!
Did u see 'trust me im a doctor" tonight?
Two eminent professionals in complete disagreement about hrt safety.
Ting
X

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »

The key is in the word "potential" in the Daily Telegpraph article. As always close scrutiny is reavealing.

The point made (in that Telegraph article)  was that the drug (presumably bazedoxifene) prevented growth of cancerous tumours in mice, and that the American Society of Reproductive Medicine hope to trial its potential to prevent breast cancer in humans - which has not yet been established but is suggested by extrapolation.

Also the main point of this is that it acts like a progestogen (the baze...) in preventing uterine build-up but does not have the disadvantage of progestogens in HRT which increases breast cancer risk when part of HRT  - and remember the main research on breast cancer risk was the WHI study involving similar oestrogens ie conjugated ones and synthetic progestogens.

Hurdity x

Gypsy

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »

Tell me about it Gypsy!
Did u see 'trust me im a doctor" tonight?
Two eminent professionals in complete disagreement about hrt safety.
Ting
X

I did indeed! I guess the jury is still out regarding HRT. Thankfully, I'm not in the position of suffering severe meno symptoms, so don't feel the need for HRT. But I'm just learning about all this stuff so that I'm informed for any future developments.
It's not reassuring me yet!  :-\

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »

I saw Trust Me I'm A Doctor last night but felt it was quite conflicting - two eminent professors with completely opposite views on it.  How on earth are we supposed to decide when they can't make their minds up?