Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hospitals "raised risk of poor care"  (Read 8985 times)

Rowan

Hospitals "raised risk of poor care"
« on: October 24, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »

Joyce

Re: Hospitals "raised risk of poor care"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »

One is DD's local hospital!

vianne

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »

Oh gawd! This is worrying, our local hospital is in band 1!!  :o  Mind you, its not surprising to any of us really, they have closed about four other hospitals in our area and put it all onto this one so it is under a ridiculous amount of pressure.  When I was in there nearly 3 years ago it was winter and they had so many admissions they had to use the recovery ward in the operating theatre suite for various different ailments as they ran out of beds in the normal wards!! I was moved there from the HDU and they didn't even have any catering down there, the nurses had to write down what we wanted and then go and collect it! It was like being in a dungeon!  Horrific!!  :o

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »

Our local hospital has been getting revamped. Not before time. Last time I was admitted I was on top floor. Roof was leaking - beds had to be shifted, loos were antique. Shocking state of affairs that our hospitals are in such a state!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »

Ours scores 4

Taz

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »

I can't find the scores for our locals  ::) only associated Reports

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

Lucky I live in the SW - both of my local ones score 4 and 5... Shocking though that there are so many that are considered high risk...

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »

Aren't you on this list CLKD http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24657453

Taz x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »

One of ours gets a 3 and the other has been put on special measures.

I was in the one that got a 3 just the other day and I wasn't very impressed.  It's only about 10-15 years old and was the biggest hospital in Europe then.  There are signs up everywhere to do this and don't do that but nobody enforces anything. "No more than 2 people at a bedside" - there were 5 at the bed next to the lady I was visiting.  "No smoking anywhere on the site" - people sitting around smoking everywhere even patients.

The stench when I walked onto the ward (elderly people) was enough to make me gag - it was truly horrendous.  The lady I was visiting is terminally ill and 2 young doctors came and told her she could go home the other day.  She refused as there was no care plan in place and she lives alone.  Her son rang up and queried this and they had apparently "made a mistake".

You are really just a number in there!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »

:thankyou:  Taz - that list didn't show in the initial posting.  Funny though, I read the Report for our local and the areas of risk were very low so how come, only a '1' score  ???  ..........

If the Hospitals don't have high levels of Staffing then there will always be risk factors.  Sadly if Consultants speak out they are often side-lined or given early retirement  :-\ .......... I could write a book about when Dad was in a Ward in 2004/5  :'(

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »

OH pointed out that the area on the list that scored 2 was in the east of the region and we are in the west, out local hospital  was not on the list.

The hospitals not doing so well have been named in Local Paper.

I have been totally shocked by the descriptions on this thread of some hospital :o