Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Synthetic HRT V Bio-identical HRT?  (Read 3197 times)

Rose

Synthetic HRT V Bio-identical HRT?
« on: October 20, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »

Hi everyone, I saw my doc at menopause clinic and she recommends that I change to bio-identical HRT. I have used synthetic HRT but wondered if any of you ladies have used only bio-identical HRT. I know that it may be a nightmare changing over and trying to get the dosage right, so wanted to know if anyone has had this experience? I really don't understand this all so would appreciate any info from someone whose been through this. This doc had given me bio-identical oestrogen cream for VA but it made my stomach swell and she thinks it may be interaction with my synthetic HRT (Kilogest). Since not using cream, stomach is back to normal but VA is returning.

Cassie

Re: Synthetic HRT V Bio-identical HRT?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:39:48 PM »

I have only ever used the Bio Identical, for years now, would not have it any other way. Did your Dr mention any options for HRT?

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »

Whilst we are on the subject of Bio Identicals, is there a list anywhere of what is available under these perhaps?
Thx

andius

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:58:11 AM »

Don't know of a list, but anything that is estradiol, estrone, estriol, progesterone or testosterone is bioidentical. That would be the chemical name, not the brand name.  These are made in labs too but match what the body makes.

ethinyl estradiol, norethindrone, norethisterone, medroxyprogesterone are all synthetic...there are more also

A

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »

I have almost always used bio-identical HRT - that is estradiol and progesterone, In UK all these are available on NHS. Rose are you in Aus? I'm not sure you can get micronised progesterone there yet unfortunately.

I'm not sure how the health system works over there but I know there is confusion in US re bio-identicals which are promoted (and are expensvie) as something vastly different from mainstream HRT which it isn't.

As andius said - you just need to make sure your HRT is estradiol and progesterone and you can still use vaginal estrogen in the form of Vagifem or and estriol pessary such as Orthogynest (rather than cream). I would be very surprised if this latter had any side effects at all. Not sure if these are available in Aus either but there must be something similar.

I've just looked up Kilogest and if it's the same one it has bio-identical estradiol as the estrogen part but the progestogen is synthetic, so you would need to change to an estrogen only tablet along with the (micronised) progesterone - if you can get hold of it.

Hope this helps

Hurdity  x

Rose

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies, ladies. I am sure when I have to make the change, then I'll be asking more questions! I don't think bio-identicals are given by GP here in Oz but think I will have to go private for that. :(