Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Can anyone read blood tests?  (Read 4436 times)

bev567901

Can anyone read blood tests?
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:21:55 PM »

I  started the menopause in the new year with irregular periods & a few other classic symptoms. So far I am on an AD & benzo's. I had a blood test taken pre all the above meds three days before a period that came early yet again. These where the results :
fsh 1.6     lh<0.5  oestradiol 290    esr 2
The doc said these are not menopause levels, so what is? Had I had the bloods taken a week later would they have been menopausal levels?  I managed to get these (ahem!) as my eldest is an A & E nurse naughty I know but I was desperate at the time as the GP was messing me about something rotten with stool samples & all sorts whilst I was gradually unravelling & loosing the will to live & my mind all at the same time. B x

sweettooth

Re: Can anyone read blood tests?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »

bev i am by no means an expert on blood readings but when i had my done in my late thirties i was suffering severe mood swings and anxiety which i knew were hormone linked, i can remember my estrogen was 140 and the doc had written on results 'low estrogen'.  I have since read that when estrogen levels drop below 160 some women suffer severe symptoms of anxiety.  Although docs said my readings did not indicate Menopause what WAS happening was that levels were fluctuating and causing these awful symptoms (perimenopause) but this was not explained to me until i spoke with a lovely GP at a woman's clinic.  Your fsh is still low -  when it reaches 30 or above  we are said to be in menopause but we will be getting the dreaded peri fluctuations way before like you are now.

Some GPs go more by symptoms.  I wish you well bev and this is a great site to get advice and support.

Take care x

I

bev567901

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »

Thank you sweettooth. Its funny as I had a cholesterol test done in 2012 & my results where so low for someone about to be 50 who has always eaten what she wants cos I am a skinny minny & with the hormone results  test my cholesterol had jumped up loads. Nothing to be worried about but it all seems a bit suss. I will carry on with the AD & benzos & then maybe I will find out what day of the month through MM results will read best & get another done in the future. B x

andius

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »

I know a little cuz' of looking at mine.

I don't know what the units are on these tests, that is important. Low? FSH levels I think, so probably not in menopause, but in perimenopause, hence your bleeding occurring.  FSH means follicle stimulating hormone and you can probably google this and find the normal range for your age.  Usually it is high in menopause and stays that way. You can read a lot about this on internet.

LH is leutinizing (sp?) hormone

ESR erythrocyte sedimentation rate.... I think you want this to be low all the time, can look up range.

Is ESR a normal menopause test? I thought it was for inflammation?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »

ESR used to be used to tell if a woman was pregnant.  Laterley I think it's used to determine inflammation and should be around 9/10 to be 'within normal limits'.

Hormone blood tests are notoriously un-reliable.  My Gynae refuses to do them to determine menopause because the levels can alter within 2-3 hours throughout the 24.  Guidance only.  Use the symptoms that the patient complains about.

bev567901

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »

They actually did a pregnancy test on me ha ha as I told them I felt like I was expecting quads with the sickness. My husband had the snip after our 8 yr old lol & we hadn't been doing anything anyway ;D   
I think I am going to get repeat bloods done as soon as I have the fight back. All the terminology is familiar as I did have fertility treatment where I had to inject myself with god knows what many years ago but I just don't know what readings should be in the peri. I am going to change my GP practice too. Need my normal fighting spirit to return which it will I am not going to give up! B x

KatieLiz

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »

When I was classed as peri menopausal my FSH was about 75 and my LH 45 - it may have been the other way round but I do remember my GP saying the higher these levels the more likely to be peri.  I didnt have my estrogen levels taken but I imagine if they are high then you are not menopausal.

I did feel quite poorly one year and my blood tests were OK but then I had them done the next year and they were in line with me being peri, so it may be worth getting them checked again soon.