Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause and migrane  (Read 2206 times)

Debbie 47

Perimenopause and migrane
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »

I am 47 years old and was diagnosed as being perimenopausal around 2 years ago. I used to boast about how mild my symptoms were and told my GP that I aimed to get through without medication. Over the past few months my symptoms have intensified. You all know the story!!! Horrific hea waves both day and night, particularly at night and resulting in little sleep, emotional, extreme tiredness etc. The hot flushes and tiredness are causing the greatest problems for me. I travel in my job and most days after lunch I find myself suffering from severe fatigue, to the point that I am struggling to keep my eyes open. This has even been whilst driving on the motorway!!!! I have reluctantly conceded to the fact that I need to do something about it and have made an appointment with a female GP for Monday. The problem is I suffer from migraine, which I have had since the age of 14. I have on average 3-4 migraines a year with classic symptoms of aura and headache however, they are not severe and as long as I can get painkillers before the headache kicks in, I can usually continue to function pretty normally throughout the rest of the day. I am worried that she won't give me patches, which I believe are more suited with migraine. I also have Ulcerative Colitis and am on anti inflamatory and I'm not sure if there are contra indications in this respect either.

I welcome your advice

bramble

Re: Perimenopause and migrane
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »

Debbie,
I Was on HRT for years - pills- and found it made no difference to number and severity of migraines. After 50, they even started getting fewer!

Bramble

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:29:54 PM »

Hi Debbie - Welcome to the forum

Regarding the migraines, if you have always had them, I wouldn't have thought that they alone would prevent the use of patches. Assuming that your other health factors e.g. blood pressure and weight are ok.  Can't speak about Ulcerative Colitus, don't know anything about it, sure somebody will be along soon who does. But speak to your GP and see what she says. Good Luck.

The menu on the left has lots of useful info

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »

:welcomemm:

Patches are generally better tolerated if you have digestive conditions. The liver has to deal with any pills and patches  bypass that completely.

Some of our members have had migraine problems. If you do a search then you can have a read of what has been said.

Honeyb
X

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »

Hello Debbie.
I don't have migraines and my use of HRT is limited but I do have Ulcerative Colitis so you may find my experiences helpful.

I  was diagnosed with UC in May 2010 having always been told my life long gut problems were IBS. I had a flair in June 2012 which was caused by eating too much soft cheese ( I now know I'm lactose intolerant as many UCers are according to my Consultant). After this episode I stopped eating any dairy produce and began taking lots of fish oil capsules plus three table spoons of olive oil every day. I recently added a dose of Symprove which is a non-dairy pro-biotic. My bowel habits became and have remained normal. I don't take any UC medication at all.
As for HRT, I was prescribed tablets in May of this year and took them for three months, they didn't affect my bowels particularly, I haven't tried patches yet.
I'm sure you are very knowledgeable about UC but I hope my little story might provide some more information.
Take care.
K.