Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Elleste Duet AND Mirena  (Read 7865 times)

Yvie168

Elleste Duet AND Mirena
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »

Hi All, new to this and very pleased to find you.... I could be lost for DAYS reading all this!

Has anybody had Elleste Duet prescribed at same time as current Mirena coil?

I'm a bit confused, he may have had his reasons, but he may not, and now he's gone off sick, so I didn't get to ask but wanted to get on with trying it...
And am now awake even more of the night than before  :(

Any advice gratefully received. Will be checking back later once I get home.

Thanks
Yvonne

Hurdity

Re: Elleste Duet AND Mirena
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:52:03 PM »

Hi Yvie168

:welcomemm:

Well I agree this is quite strange.

I presume you have been prescribed the extra oestrogen because you are peri-menopausal and experiencing symptoms such as flushes and sweats?

If you have a Mirena you would not normally need HRT with progestogen in it because the Mirena provides this, as long as it hasn't passed it's date for changing. It is licensed for progestogen part of HRT for 4 years.

Unless you are still having heavy periods while on the Mirena there is no need for extra progestogen but maybe you are still getting bleeds?

Usually the oestrogen only HRt would be prescribed - and in your case this would be Elleste solo, and not the duet. Personally I would not want to have extra progestogen if not necessary and especially in tablet form as you could experience sdie effects that you might not be gettintg from the Mirena.

Obviously I can't comment specfically without knowing your age, circumstances etc but this would be the general princcple!

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Yvie168

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »

Wow! Thank you!

There are all exactly my thoughts! My Mirena is getting closer to it's end date, I was told 5 years? (but with a fairly high metabolism I didn't believe it worked that long last time), so I gave him the benefit of the doubt about the duet.

I have no bleeding at all (Mirena) so was thinking he just wasn't paying attention? My pharmacist was pretty insistent that I refer back to GP before filling the script, and I tried to do that for 4 days and then gave up (he was off sick) and started taking the tablets...... now I'm not sure.

My sleep is the same as on the patch (Elleste Solo 2mg) which is still disturbed (hot flushes) BUT with addition of my brain firing on ALL cylinders each and every time I wake up for the hot flush :( making it harder to drop back off to sleep

Tired today

So reassuring to realise I'm not cracking up after all! I do know myself QUITE well....

Yvonne

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »

Hi again Yvie

it is 5 years for contraception but currently 4 years as progestogen part of HRT:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Scroll down to bottom.

If the Mirena suits you then why not ask for another one? You can then safely take a higher dose of oestrogen if 2 mg is not controlling your flushes. Incidentally on that score you might find changing to patches or gel may give you a higher dose and doesn't have to go through the liver, so if you get another Mirena you could also change to one of these transdermal types. I'm guessing you are probably in your 40's so may want to be on this for the longer term?

Hurdity x

Rosey4

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:08:24 PM »

hi i just wanted to add i had the marina in for 5  years and you should not be on elleste duet too. you need only estrogen only with the marina. i got mine out and thinking of getting another because like you have had no periods for 4 years as took a year to settle. then i took 0.3% premarin for 3 years along with it. This took all my menopausal symptoms a way for a while but needed to increase premarin because flushes were getting worse. But i also had to get the marina removed as i had it in for 5 years. I got it out nearly 5 months ago and the doctor gave me continues hrt, elleste duet instead to try. Which i have been on for 2 months now, i started periods!!! very painful and heavy at that!! My advice stay with what you no. hot flushes sexual problems sore bones sleepless nights nightmare. I only wish now i kept my marina in. Problem was i thought i was past menopause because i felt quite good. I feel miserable now, I thought i would give this other option a try but i am not a happy bunny. 

Yvie168

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:42:55 PM »

Thank you very much both.

Hurdity: I'm 51, and was coping when it was just hot flushes, but sypmtoms have increased, hence giving this a go. But I'm sure it's an oversight. The 2mg patch sent me loopy which was why he was suggesting 1mg, but he went down the duet route, think he wasn't paying attention...??

Maybe I should be looking for something complementary for the hot flushes/sleep deprivation/joint aches and pains and stick to Mirena (can't BEAR the thought of heavy periods again)

Rosey4: Thank you. I didn't think so. Think I'm at about 4 years. Sore joints are getting me down. Hence going back to GP. I've always been fit and well, and used to go to the gym, and then about November I gave up smoking and physically it's been downhill since then...... joints/sleep/hot flushes getting worse...... MOODY as.... and can't go to the gym coz it hurts too much, so feeling properly physically low, whereas I'm usually physically fit :(

Ho hum. As if we haven't put up with enough so far? This is like the ultimate insult after all our efforts with the children (I have four!)

Yvonne