Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Gbapentin  (Read 4264 times)

pixigirl

Gbapentin
« on: October 10, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »

Hi, i have discovered gabapentin, they are fantastic, takes away hot flushes and the night     sweats. All i have to do now is convince my doc as they are my husbands tablets. but i would recomend them to all how suffer the sweats and flushes.

smudgy14

Re: Gbapentin
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »

Hi there if this is the painkiller gabapentin it good you had no adverse reaction , I was given this a few years ago for chronic pain and ended up in the heart ward for a month I ha vey rapid heartbeat and heavy chest and terrible heat flush upper part of my body had numerous tests and an angiogram luckily all was clear it turned out that gabapentin was the likely cause ,just goes to show how different medication affects different people in many ways.I am so glad that you have relief from sweats etc I am still trying to control them no luck so far.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »

What made you decide to try them if they are your husbands ?

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »

I had them for neuralgia years ago. Though recent findings have shown they help flushes too. I read about it a few months back on here.  Here's the link.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22453.msg340753.html#msg340753

Whatever you do pixi, don't tell your GP you were taking Hubby's pills. Say you read about it on here and would like to give them a try.

pixigirl

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »

cubagirl, yes good advice. I only tried them having read the info they come with. I have been very luck as have had no reaction to them, just so relieved that the flushes and sweats are in control. It is only day three tho.

Tina1957

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 03:24:37 PM »

Hi
My GP has prescribed me Gabapentin for severe hot flushes (as a last resort) - unable to take HRT any longer.

I have had to slowly increase my dose over the last 6 weeks until I am now taking 1200mg (2 x 300mg twice a day), however still having a few hot flushes daily, although I must admit an improvement on the hourly ones I was experiencing before.
GP has told me it is possible to increase the dose further, which reluctantly I may have to do as I would love to be free from these horrible hot flushes.

Pixie... what dose have you took, can't believe you have had such instant relief!

Tinax

pixigirl

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »

Tina, i take 300m, twice a day, morning and night. I was amazed at how fast they worked amd with no side effects.

Rose

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:54:34 AM »

Good for you if you can take them, Pixigirl. I was like Smudgy, awful side effects. There is another drug called Lyrica which is apparently better and safer. It's great if you find something that works  :)

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »

Hi Pixigirl - glad that Gabapentin is working for you.

Don't know how you will convince your GP to prescribe them but good luck.
They DO help with hot flushes but they are not always used for this in the UK.

I use them for nerve pain and prevention of migraines, and they really help with hot flushes.
One thing that is worth remembering is that the tablets should not be stopped (or started) abruptly.
To do so can really knacker your sleeping patterns and not do your stomach much good either.
Might be worth confessing to your GP that you have already started taking them.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »

I am glad that this is working for you but how you explain to your GP is another matter.

The side effects look pretty extreme so it's great you can tolerate them.

Good luck with getting a prescription.

Honeyb
X