Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: cyst on my ovary  (Read 4136 times)

teresaanne45

cyst on my ovary
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:25:19 PM »

hi as any one else experienced a cyst on ovarys i am eight years into my mena pause feel bloated cant sleep and i have also been told i have a under active thyroid does any one have any of these symptons i am having a ultra soind scan but dont know what they will do i am very worried :'(thanks teresa

Cassie

Re: cyst on my ovary
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »

Yes they are actually more normal than we realise even in menopausal women, I also have one, it all depends on how big it is and what the scan shows, they are usually harmless fluid filled cyst which can be left alone, surgical intervention is only really warranted if they have go very big or are causing discomfort or if they look a bit suspect on the scan, try not to stress, how do you know that you have a cyst if you have not had your scan yet?

Londongirl

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »

Hi there

I had this many many years ago (was diagnosed in a scan). 

At the time, I was in terrible pain and thought I was having another ectopic pregnancy (as I had been through one already sadly). 

Was taken to A & E and it was confirmed it was an ovarian cyst, which fortunately seemed to shrink by itself in time and I was told it was nothing to worry about.

Good luck

teresaanne45

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »

thankyou for kind words i had a colonoscopy and the doctor found it there

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:47:04 AM »

Thats interesting did you have a virtual colonscopy, MRI that they picked it up?

teresaanne45

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »

dont know what a virtual colonoscpy is but thats how he founf it do you think its unusual

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 06:45:39 PM »

A virtual colonscopy is like a scan of your colon and the colonscopy is with the camera in from your behind and you sedated, I didnt realise that ones ovaries would be visible on a colonscopy, just interested, I guess they would be though, if one thinks about it, most of our organs are fairly compacted together down there lol.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »

I think it must have been some other kind of examination as a colonoscopy only looks at your colon. I think the ovaries need a different kind of examination.

Honeyb
X

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »

Unless it was a virtual colonscopy, then they would have picked it up as the scan picks up any of the lower abdominal organs but focuses on the actual colon.

spidergirl

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 07:05:26 PM »

I had ovarian cysts when I was 18, several of them in fact each around the size of a grape which had hemmoraged - I was in so much pain from them. I had them removed by keyhole surgery and was only in mild discomfort afterwards for a few days.
My doc said that the stress of this on my ovaries at my age could have brought on my early meno - but there is no way to prove this of course.
I hope it gets sorted for you soon
SG

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »

Thats what happened to me had ovarian cysts removed surgically before I was 40 and the surgery on the ovaries pushed me over the edge into early meno :(

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »

I also had an ovarian cyst which measured 10cm, when I was 24.  I had a single ovarectomy (I think that's what they called it) but this didn't affect my periods, and two pregnancies (one miscarried) followed.  My menopause started at 51.  I often wondered if only having one ovary would have any effect on things later on, but it hasn't done.  Just lucky.