Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Can estrogen be used without progesterone safely?  (Read 3758 times)

Tingly

Can estrogen be used without progesterone safely?
« on: October 04, 2013, 07:05:23 PM »

Have just been reading an article by a professor john studd.
I had early meno with va and dont know whether i'm totally through it yet or not as i was on hrt which gave me a withdrawal bleed
Anyhoo...i hated the progesterone bit..even the utrogestan bio identical
But i have just read the following( i ahve cut and pasted) and wonder if its true........

estrogens are safe when started below the age of 60 particularly if progestogen   is not required and are positively indicated in women with a premature menopause It should be used for treatment of specific climacteric symptoms and low bone density and the advice that estrogens should not be first option for the prevention or treatment of osteoporosis in this age group is questioned .The dose and route will depend upon the symptoms and the age of the patient.

honeybun

Re: Can estrogen be used without progesterone safely?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »

I think when you read that, it's meant for women who have had a hysterectomy. You cannot take oestrogen without opposing it with progesterone other wise the womb lining thickens and there would be a very real cancer risk.

It says " if progesterone is not needed" that only applies to women with no womb.

I understand that you hate the progesterone phase but unfortunately there is just no way round this one.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:30:05 PM »

I agree with Honeybun. The phrase "if progesterone is not needed" means that if the womb has been removed then you are safe with oestrogen only HRT. It makes no difference what age you are progesterone has to be used if you are to avoid endometrial cancer.

Taz x

Tingly

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »

Thanks both...and bugger at the same time ;D ;D i really fancied this   
Xxxx