Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Angelq help and advice please  (Read 4232 times)

Harana

Angelq help and advice please
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »

Ok in short - GP agreed that ellest duet wasn't working and said she'd leave me a prescription for a new type of HRT after 2 trips to the surgery to get it I got Angelq. Now based on my limited knowledge and extremely limited experience of HRT. Is this not a non bleed hrt for post menopause? I'm 41 and she had explained previously I needed a monthly bleed HRT. Also when I took the prescription to the chemist she said she hadn't heard of it for years but would try to order it in. Confidence at rock bottom at the mo and hate the thought of ringing GP tomorrow to say er I think you have given me the wrong tablets as like what would I know!!!
Help and advice please
Thanks in advance and gee whizz it's only Monday!!
R x

Londongirl

Re: Angelq help and advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:15:28 PM »

I have had Angeliq and am pretty sure it's a post meno HRT!  It should be in the list here on the left. 

Hate to tell you but took it for a month only as the bloating I got from it was unbearable and I just felt yuk................

Good luck! 

Anna

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »

Yes Londongirl is right it's a post-meno HRT. Duh... some of these doctors!!

What was the problem with the Elleste? The next type you choose will depend on what it was that wasn't working. Was the dose too low or did you not get on with the progestogen during the second part of the cycle, or did the tablets make you feel ill, or what?

Hopefully we can help you so that you can ask for one that is more appropriate!!

Hurdity x

Harana

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »

Thanks so much hurdity for your help - dose of elleste duet was ok significantly reduced sweats, palpitations and insomnia but the green phase made me very queasy, dizzy and a complete basket case! Only took 2 packets and that was enough green for me!

Was going to ring receptionist  tomorrow and say HRT has been changed but initially the reasons for giving me a combined HRT with monthly bleed were explained but it's now a continuous combined with no bleed more suited to post menopause and just wanted to check that that was what was intended. I don't want to come across as checking up on the GP but at the same-time I want to be sure. Does that make sense? I was very surprised when I saw script for angeiq as it wasn't any of the ones I had read about on here funnily enough as I had only looked at peri menopause - I was expecting a change to femiston - what should I ask for? Any help advice is greatly appreciated as I'm tunneling along in the dark!

THANK YOU
R X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:41:48 AM »

Hi
i would try to get more help from Hurdity - she is a font of knowledge with her science background. 
I definitely think you have been given the wrong HRT - you could always tell the doctor the chemist questioned his choice of Angelq.  I'm in my 50s ( post menopausal) and have tried Angelq - it didn't suit me. 
I believe all types Femiston are very popular because the progesterone is kinder.
Good luck  DG x 

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »

I understand the doctor's reasoning - I imagine they are saying that it is the sudden rise in progesterone that is disagreeing with you and therefore if you take it all the time you would not get the sudden rise and fall (like with the natural cycle too).

However it does seem that it is the progestogen - norethisterone - that could be causing the problems.

Some women early in peri have taken the mini pill ( a synthetic progestogen) as well as HRT to keep their prog levels stable - this would work if you can tolerate progesterone, but suffered from bad pmt when the level falls at the end of the cycle (ie when you stop the prog).

If you are still peri-menopausal and less than 12 months since your last period then you should definitely be on a cyclical product. Yes fine to ring the receptionist and say that. Several women on here have been given conti HRT in the past, in error. Say you want a bleed product and yes I would try Femoston with oestrogen at the same dsoe you had before - so if you were on Elleste 1 mg then try Femoston 1/10 initally.

Good luck

Hurdity x

If you are close

Harana

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »

Well I spoke to a different doctor on Tuesday as the previous one is now on holiday. She agreed that perhaps Angeliq wasn't the obvious side step but explained exactly the rationale behind it as you said hurdity. So on the phone I said what about femiston and she said well I'm just looking them up in my book now! That didn't really inspire a lot of confidence but she has suggested prempak C to try and has given me 3 months supply. Is prempak c worth a blast or is it the same bad boys as elleste? I'm still a bit confused as even my husband (who is beginning to learn that this isn't going to just go away) thought from looking at the info on here femiston would have been the obvious choice! Elleste is a low dose and prempak c is medium Anyway tried 2 chemists to get prempak c and in the end they had to order it in so started it yesterday - so here goes! Have taken 2 tabs and period started today! I guess that's due to stopping the dreaded green ones! It's amazing to think that a tablet SO so small can have such a big impact on everything I do on a daily basis!
Thanks for the help and advice so kind that people take the time to reply!
I appreciate it
X