Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan 100mg  (Read 4147 times)

Cassie

Utrogestan 100mg
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:51:50 AM »

Thought that I would rather start a new topic, for all the lovely ladies who are using Utro 100mg on a cyclical basis, I know that it is actually prescribed to be used for 25 days per month, but some Drs are ok to prescribe it for cyclical use. If you are using it like this, for how many days per month are you taking it and do you have regular follow up scans to check uterine lining?
Thankyou.

Cassie

Re: Utrogestan 100mg
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:59:51 AM »

No one on Utro 100 mg cyclically that can assist :) :) x

jasmine5

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »

I have been period free for 3 years and I take Utrogestan 100mg for 14 days a month as prescribed by my local Menopause clinic.  The problem with this is that I get a light bleed half way through the month which usually lasts for about 5 days.  I was originally prescribed 25 out of 28 days a month, but because I was having problems with severe heartburn at night, the Consultant suggested I take it for 14 days instead.

Incidentally I recently stopped my HRT for a 4 week period just to see how things would pan out.  Unfortunately in the fourth week I started to suffer with bad night sweats and low mood so I re-started on my original prescription of Estradot 50 and Utrogestan 100.  It seems now, that the dose that served me quite well before doesnt't seem to have the same impact anymore and I am still having the odd day and night flush and still feeling a bit down.  I am wondering if it takes some time to build up the Levels of oestrogen in the body again or if I need a higher prescription?

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »

Thx Jasmine would also like to take it for 14 days, and does your lining look ok on this protocol?

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »

It's taking much longer for my HRT to work than it did the first time. I think as we move through meno our own hormones decline a lot so it takes much longer for the levels to rise again.

Just a theory.

Honeyb
X

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »

I never got on well with higher than the 50 patch and given the fact I am trying to come off completely I am trying to manage with a half patch. Trying to wean off gradually rather than stopping dead.
I did do that and within 4 weeks the flushes were back.

Honeyb
X

jasmine5

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:38:34 PM »

Yes I have tried using Utrogestan vaginally and found this works quite well, but the problem was I didn't like the small amount of seepage in the morning, sorry if this is TMI but I found this to be a a bit of a pain!!!!

Regarding upping the dose that's exactly what I've done, I'm using one and a half patches (75mg cutting patch in half) and I'm feeling a lot better now.  I'll wait a week or so then try to reduce down to 50mg again.  Fingers crossed my symptoms stay away!

Can I just enquire if anyone has successfully stopped taking HRT and come out  the other side.  Its just that I'm worried in case I'm delaying the inevitable and one day soon I'll have to stop completely (on my GP's orders) and suffer the dreadful symptoms anyway :(

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 04:28:26 PM »

It's taking much longer for my HRT to work than it did the first time. I think as we move through meno our own hormones decline a lot so it takes much longer for the levels to rise again.

Just a theory.

Honeyb
X

Yes the levels continue to drop from the point of menopause (ie the last natural period whenever that may be) for the next two years when they reach their lowest level and stay there - so maybe you are experiencing that. I imagine there is a little variation between women but that's it in a nutshell. There's a paper somewhere with all the different stages and what happens to the hormones but off working soon so don't have time to look....

Seepage? To me that's a small price to pay for being able to use bio-identical HRT that works, and goes with my "nil-by-mouth" policy! Taking other progesterone or progestins to go through the liver, to me could have far more undesirable side effects.

However I'm 60 so perhaps past caring  ;D - I just wear an "always" v discreet/v thin pl every day - no probs.

Anyone who takes Utrogestan 100mg orally cyclically would be advised to have regular uterine scans  (this is what Studd advises) and as has been said these will not be offered routinely on the NHS - but perhpas they should be, in the same way that mammograms and smears are.

Hurdity x

Hurdity x