Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Spirometry Test  (Read 3198 times)

purplenanny

Spirometry Test
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:39:52 PM »

Hi Ladies
Has anyone had one of these tests done?

The appointment with the Nurse is for 40 mins which seems a long time for the breathing tube thingy (googled it) so I wondered if it involves anything else?

Joyce

Re: Spirometry Test
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:28:16 AM »

Been long time since I had it done. Mine was done after I had recovered from pneumonia. As I remember it, I had to do it 2 or 3 times. Your appointment will maybe include discussion time regarding results. You may need medication prescribed. If nurse is anything like one at my surgery, she'll be wanting to make sure she's covered everything.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:42 AM »

My husband has to have this done every six months due to COPD. It does take around forty minutes as lifestyle and symptoms are all asked about and logged. Sometimes he has to do the test twice to get a realistic result. It also depends on the reason you have been referred I think.

Taz

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »

Yes, years ago, after a spell in hospital with asthma.

purplenanny

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »

My husband has to have this done every six months due to COPD. It does take around forty minutes as lifestyle and symptoms are all asked about and logged. Sometimes he has to do the test twice to get a realistic result. It also depends on the reason you have been referred I think.

Taz

It is also my hubby who has to do this, because his breathing is really weird. A lot of short breath panting and he does a lot of puffing out when he is doing something (like putting shoes on). His breathing is rarely relaxed, even when sleeping
What is COPD Taz?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »

COPD used to be called smokers cough I think. It mainly affects smokers and is something that can never be cured but can be prevented from getting worse if you stop smoking. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Taz

purplenanny

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »

Thanks Taz, thankfully hubby has never smoked.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »

Mine smokes those small cigars but only a few nights a week but he wont give up. Stubborn through and through.

Quite often we have to re-learn how to breathe properly purplenanny so your husband may be given some breathing exercises.

Taz x

purplenanny

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »

Well I guess your hubby knows it is not good, but enjoys them.

Thanks for your help, I do think he needs a few breathing exercises as he is not getting oxygen around his body. He is quite immobile which does not help.

PN x x