Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: fibroids  (Read 15296 times)

losttheplot

Re: fibroids
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:20 PM »

I have been using Balance Active menopause Anderina, only because I have some sensitivity issues with a lot of other preps. It is better than nothing. But anything you have been prescribed is bound to be better  :)

Rowan

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »

Sorry to disagree on this Vagifem can increase the size of existing fibroids and should be used with care if you do have them.

All you have to do is google this or ask your Doctor. It is stated on the leaflet. Use with caution.

If your  fibroid is very small then it probably won't cause so much of a problem but if large then could make uncomfortable symptoms worse.

When you a have a little "alien" fibroid benign as they  almost always are, (they also can calcify and dissolve naturally but I think this is rare, and some can be cancerous))  you don't want to fuel it, well I didn't, I was taking Red clover herb before mine was diagnosed ( it was diagnosed by accident) and my GP said that could have made it bigger.

Some fibroids cause no symptoms others do, there are different types and  can grow inside and outside of the womb.

If you are diagnosed with fibroids its best to find out as much as you can about them and the make your choices.

Just be aware that any kind of estrogen your own, natural, oral or topical including Vagifem can fuel them.

They don't really know what causes fibrroids but the do know what makes them grow.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:00:39 PM by silverlady »

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »

This is what the official Vagifem leaflet says:

Other adverse reactions have been reported in association with oestrogen treatment. Risk estimates have been drawn from systemic exposure and it is not known how these apply to local treatments:

• Myocardial infarction, congestive heart disease

• Stroke

• Gall bladder disease

• Skin and subcutaneous disorders: chloasma, erythema multiforme, erythema nodosum, vascular purpura

• Increase in size of fibroids

• Epilepsy

• Libido disorder

• Deterioration of asthma

• Probable dementia over the age of 65 (see section 4.4).

The point I was trying to make was based on this - that adverse reactions have been reported from oestrogen treatment not from Vagifem itself and by implication Vagifem could be a risk because it is an oestrogen - this is standard. Elsewhere in the leaflet - and it is generally known - that the amount of oestrogen absorbed from vagifem is minute.

I accept what it states, that information on risk comes from systemic exposure to oestrogens ie full HRT not local treatments such as vagifem.

All other patient information will take their information from the SPC or product monograph for Vagifem which says no more than this.

Therefore as I understand there is no evidence that Vagifem can increase the size of fibroids and I would suggest as I said before that the dose is so small as to be negligible.

I do not disagree that oestrogen can increase the size of fibroids, just that because it is dose dependent, then a little perspective is needed especially in the case of severe VA.

I have a small fibroid and I am on systemic HRT and Vagifem (the latter sometimes) and the gynae who did my investigations was quite happy about this.

Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »

Lots of evidence that vagifem can increase the size of fibroids

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/hrt-topical

Having had a fibroid I would have been very cautious about using Vagifem before it was removed, even progesterone can increase fibroids.

Information about topical estrogen eg Vagifem

Any woman who has been diagnosed with fibroids must make her own choice especially if the fibroid is large and is causing symptoms.

The title of thread thread is "Fibroids"  not severe VA, and the question was can Vagifem cause fibroids to grow, and the simple answer is that it can.

For some women with fibroids using Vagifem will be acceptable for others it should be used with caution, if Vagifem can cause breast to grow or be tender, and cause headaches and increase in tummy size in women sensitive to it, then it can have an effect on fibroids.

It is a woman's individual choice.  Hurdity if your GP says its alright for you to use vagifem with your small fibroid then that is right for you, for another woman it might be different.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:32:59 AM by silverlady »

anderina

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 07:54:07 PM »

my va is really starting to bother me again and was really tempted to re start vagifem but after reading all your comments i don't think i will until i've been to the hospital

I don't want to make things worse and i definitely don't want any more bleeding!

Been using E45 anti itch cream has anyone any other suggestions ?

I do think vagifem helped my prolapse though :(

Cannot wait to get sorted one way or the other xx

Annika

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 10:24:36 PM »

Sorry to hear what you are going through..it sounds like you've just about had enough. I had fibroids 5 of them that pushed on my bladder making things very uncomfortable for many years, then the never ending bleeding,etc., finally i asked my doctor for a hysterectomy at that time i was very anemic and ill. It was a two day stay at the hospital and a fairly long recovery at home with hubby and older daughters picking up most of the housework,etc., Every day that went by i could feel myself getting better and better..the pain and feeling of wanting to run to the loo all the time had gone along with the never ending bleeding. For me it was fantastic and two years later I just got a clean bill of health from my yearly checkup, no prolapses, no need for hormones and i feel great. I hope you find a solution for your problems and wanted to give you my story should you ever decide to go through the same procedure. Sending you big hugs
Pages: 1 [2]