Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Getting fit!  (Read 3391 times)

Dorymai

Getting fit!
« on: September 20, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »

Hi Ladies,
Does anyone have any suggestions how I can set about improving my fitness and losing some weight when I feel constantly washed out, have aching bones/joints etc and really feel I can't be bothered but know I have to do something! I believe if I do it will help me feel better too?!?

Many thanks Dory
 :hapij:

Claireylou

Re: Getting fit!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

Hi Dory,

I'm glad you asked because I've been thinking the same thing. I just know that doing something would benefit my body and my mind but have no idea what to do.

Hope you get some answers.

Take care

Claire xxx

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »

For me it's walking. I am lucky in that I live beside the sea. Not only do I get exercise it is mood lifting.
I would love to swim.....Not in the sea.  ;D but our local pool is not great.

Just anything that gets you out and doing something.

Honeyb
X

Morwenna

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

In my opinion the easiest way to benefit 'body and mind' at our stage of life is to regularly go out walking  in the fresh air. As opposed to sweating it out at the gym or jogging, it has minimum impact on the joints and the exposure to sunlight boosts vitamin D levels, helps to stave off depression and boosts energy levels. It can be done anytime and doesn't cost anything. It's just having the motivation to give oneself that little 'push' out of the door that can sometimes be the stumbling block but if you can do it, it's worth it.   :great:

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »

Swimming has been my thing until few weeks ago, due to sore shoulder. I started end of January. That together with watching what I eat, I lost almost 2 stones.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »

CG -  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

ANGEL66

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »

Hi Dory  :)

Swimming or walking would be good for you.  Swimming or aqua aerobics is good because the water lessens any strain on your joints.  Pilates and yoga are also good forms of exercise and nice and gentle too  :)

NAOMI

Dyan

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »

Walking for me.
30 mins a day,briskly.
I feel so much better with getting the fresh air and stretching my legs.

littleminnie

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »

I don't do any exercise at the moment, but I have just bought wii fit. I'm going to start on the 1st October and I'm going to try and eat healthier. (Going to try and eat '5 a day').

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »

I try to do the thirty minutes quick walk too Dyan - it's a two mile route so works about right. I used to do three but then got fibromyalgia and it's just a bit too far now. Might try to up it a bit!  OH does 7.5 miles each day during the week and 15 on saturdays and sundays as part of his weight loss plan. So far he has lost four stone but the exercise does tend to get addictive!

Taz

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »

Thanks Taz, though put on some during holiday, don't we all. Will have to get myself back on track before end of the year. See managed not to say the C word. ::)

Dorymai

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »

Many thanks ladies for your suggestions. I am already wearing my step monitor which is measuring how much walking I am not doing, supposed to do about 10,000 steps a day but failing miserably! I work full time and have always found it very hard to find the time to exercise but now with the lethargy it's worse! I must make the effort though because from what you say it is worth it!

Dory :bunny:

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »

Hi dorymai

I agree with Morwenna and the others - walking, outside, fresh air - that's for general health and fitness.

Also at our age it is important to do other exercise to help our joints - keep them supple and mobile. I have just started Pilates for this and it feels so good - very gentle exercise. it also helps strengthen the core of the body and to gradually build muscle.

Finally if you want to lose weight then replacing fat with muscle has the added benefit not only of keeping you fit, but muscle burns more calories at rest than fat so more muscle increases your basic metabolism so you can eat more and stay the same weight. I go to a body conditioning class for this - colloquially known as "tums, bums and thighs". This is also brilliant. An hour flies by - but it's hard work!

I used to do fitness videos but I find it so much better going to a class because at home I have to motivate myself and there is not enough room to leap about in the room properly anyway!

By the way this has also helped my joints which a few years ago had started to become a bit stiff (in my early/mid 50's) and now are no longer ( I am 60). HRT may well have helped as well - but I don't want to find out by stopping!

Hurdity x