Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Long haul flights - how do you cope?  (Read 16544 times)

Rose

Re: Long haul flights - how do you cope?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 10:08:54 PM »

Hi Cubagirl you can get mild sleeping tablets in Boots and I know loads of people who have taken them for such a long journey. no alcohol of course (it just makes you feel awful anyway) and no make-up as you need to keep your skin moisturized. I always put my make-up on in Heathrow before my flight to Ireland.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »

How about lots of long-weekends away if you can't face long haul?  'Do' European Cities?  Or book in the UK - we have some FAB U LUS places here.  We bought a camper recently and I've had anxiety about that  :'( ::) ........ and would never consider flying - although I do want to see the Italian Lakes it's not a great enough 'want' to risk or have to endure anxiety.

Joyce

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »

Europe I would like. Hubby has a list of places he won't go, many in Europe. I did get him interested in Austria though, in the summer though. Time will tell.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »

Looks like stalemate then ?  Does he crave hot, hot, hot if he won't go to Europe? 

Would you holiday alone?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:05:52 PM by CLKD »

bramble

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »

A cruise seems to be the only sensible option?
Bramble

bramble

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 01:08:59 PM »

Or have you considered separate holidays. There are loads of holiday companies now who can cater for single folk. If hubby wants to go watch the gorillas in Borneo (or whatever) then there is at least one company to cater for his needs. Might be worthwhile for your husband to work out what he wants to do or see, then have a look on the net for companies that suit. Loads of people go on holiday alone now, not only those who are unattached.

Bramble

Joyce

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »

Cruising is a no-no for both of us.

Separate holidays also a no-no. A stalemate for now.  Knew someone who did this every year, she's now divorced!

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 03:38:12 PM »

DH has usually choosen the destination; I have always booked the accommodation; he does the driving, I do the packing ....... we have never holidayed alone.  Can't see the point  ::) - he would need to return home every night to cook my meals  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »

Now now CLKD - you managed to feed yourself when he went to France...

It depends on how well you like your own company and how confident you are as to whether separate holidays work. I love my separate time - always in this country though - and just relish being able to do what I want when I want and not have to take anyone else into account. The only difficult part is eating alone which can make you feel a bit self conscious. It sounds a bit selfish but I think I've done enough pandering to everyone else over almost forty years of marriage and motherhood - as much as I've enjoyed it.

Taz  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »

Have to say I would probably spend most of my time looking round to see where my OH was.
I like my own company but not that much.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »

A day to myself, I could cope with.  Mind you going on my own DD's beginning of November, hubby tied up with work. When I did same journey last year I had the most awful journey home. Stuck at Haymarket in Edinburgh for ages as trains were delayed due to flooding down south. Ended up jumping on train to Dundee & hoping for the best. Fingers crossed this time round.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »

He cooked food before he went to France Taz  ;) - then I was too anxious to eat anyway  ::)

When DH goes fishing in Wales I can watch through binoculars.  When he catches something worth showing he phones me on his mobile, I look through the glasses and he holds up the fish  :-*  ............  ::)

Suzi Q

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »

Im in Ozz I have no choice
30 mins to airport 2 hour wait then on to plane 30mins wait t take off
8hrs to Singapore 3/5 hour wait depending on connceting flighs 14hrs to Manchester 2hours customs and out and home to Wallasey thats 30 hours or so but no choice
Hate it with a vengence especially as I HATE FLYING scared to death entire time but I do it
Doing it again next August 2 weeks on my own in Wallasey Bobbles comes over for 2 weeks in UK
We are having a big my family 40th wed ann party his family in UK are all dead now mines huge
Then a week in an appartment on the Left Bank in Paris 4 nights in Venice 4 nights in Rome
Then a week in Bali we havent had a holiday since Sept 2010 when we went home odd weekends other than 4 nights last Xmas in motels riding  motor bike nothing OUR holidaysHOME
But its hard at the moment it isnt good in Ozz at the moment to keep the company going
We and everyone else in the office etc have taken a 20% pay cut a month till ??? when ever
That way the men in the factory dont get laid off thankfully we have paid the mort off
BUT I dont work and 20% a big drop still others are far worse so we may have to rethink Trip
Maybe only UK and Paris NOT giving that up but I hate the journey but its worth it 10 fold

Joyce

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 12:23:01 PM »

If I had close family on other side of the world, like my brother, I would have to bite the bullet.  Think they have struggled each time they've headed out to Oz. Jet lagged on way there and spend days catching up on sleep when they ge back to the UK again.  Very tiring.
Pages: 1 [2]