Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Long haul flights - how do you cope?  (Read 16543 times)

Joyce

Long haul flights - how do you cope?
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »

My hubby is planning to retire next year. We were discussing it the other night, though wish he would have discussed earlier in the day & not at 10 o'clock at night when my befuddled brain couldn't cope. Anyway in the midst of discussion I said Well no more big holidays, I can't cope with any more long haul flights He looked so disappointed! I would truly love to see more places in the world. Maybe it was because we did Florida in 2011 & Bahamas in 2012. I'm not too bad going, but it's the coming back which kills me. I even looked up some places and they appear to be changing to the Dreamliner planes, which didn't help! I think he would love to have at least one more big holiday, whilst still young enough to enjoy it.

How do you cope?  Last two times I was a wreck coming home, full of angst etc. If I could have got off mid-atlantic, I would have. It will be a big birthday for hubby next year and if he wants to go somewhere fancy I'd love to be OK with it. Have to say I've been dropping hints that we should stay at home & celebrate somewhere nice with family.

honeybun

Re: Long haul flights - how do you cope?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »

I am the wrong one to ask as I know I just could not cope.  Perhaps you could compromise and do a tour of Europe instead of a long haul flight. Hubby might be happy with that and you would maybe cope better.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »

Think only way I could cope is if we went 1st class with a bed!  ;D We upgraded to premium economy last year, but made no difference. Lottery win would help.  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »

Business Class might be worth considering, not as dear as first but so much better than economy.

We had about 10 years of travelling to New Zealand and back.
Business class made a massive difference, well worth the money.
Lots of little things; easier checkin, less of a queue for security checking, quiet lounges with food and drink, priority boarding, better food on plane

Makes a big difference

ann123

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »

I really struggled last year coming back from Aus.
Only thing I can suggest is stop overs. Or how about cruising?

Clovie

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »

Cubagirl, we do Florida a lot, we go most years.
I love flying. What is it about coming back, the journey back you don't like?
is it because you don't or can't sleep?

Have you tried taking anything to help you nod off, even if its for a short while?
I don't sleep well coming back as its not very comfy is it, but I used melatonin this year and fell asleep about 15 minutes into 'Wreck It Ralph' movie - seems I didn't miss a lot  ;D ;D

If you KNOW you're not going to sleep why not plan around it and load up some movies to watch, or check out beforehand which movies are going to be showing on the plane and plan your night, get some treats to eat get as comfy as you can with pillows etc and who knows, you might just nod off as you're not actively trying to?

I can't wait to go back to Florida this coming Feb!! I lurrvvee Florida. Did you go to Orlando? Or were you elsewhere?  :)

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »

I just get so uncomfortable & agitated. I'm like a baby who needs to sleep, but won't give in. An odd description, but that's how it feels.  Used Rescue Remedy last year, no use at all.  Tried movies, music but they just irritate me even more. I'm the same at home. For some reason just can't nod off. Grrrr

Orlando x 3  Clovie. 1996 & 1998 when our kids were old enough to appreciate it. Then again in 2011. Some late money from my mum's estate took DD, her partner, their daughter, DS, his partner, hubby & I to Disney All Stars. I could have saved the money, but decided my mum would have wanted us to have the time of our lives. Made up a diary for granddaughter with pictures of characters so she could get autographs and add photos later.  Doubt we'll be back, but pretty sure DD & DS will go again one day.

Clovie

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »

ahhh, I see your issues then, I know what you mean about music being annoying if you're not in the mood for it... I just wish teleporters would be invented.

On the other matter, its nice to say "hi!" to another Orlando fan!!!  :)
Our youngest boy is still 11, so we have excuses to go back  ;), not that you need an excuse as Disney, as you'll know, has things for all ages!  Walt designed it to be for everyone eh?  :) 

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »

Amazing! Best ride for me was in Hogwarts castle. Though doubt son & his partner would agree. They like the big roller coasters at Universal. I hate roller coasters!

Clovie

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »

Amazing! Best ride for me was in Hogwarts castle. Though doubt son & his partner would agree. They like the big roller coasters at Universal. I hate roller coasters!

Oooh I loved that - but I came off as sick as a dog  ;D ;D, Made me laugh how in front of the casdtle near the ride exit all the benches were full of people sat silent with green faces!!!  ;D ;D ;D

And I LOVE the big coasters!!!
but was strangely terrified - and I mean TERRIFIED of tower Of terror, have done the chicken exit on that ride a couple of times in the past ( I know exactly where it is, and where it comes out!  ;D)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »

I don't even try.  I know that I can cope with flights up to about 4 hours.  Beyond that I would not be a happy bunny. 

littleminnie

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »

Business Class is the answer CG, your seat can go into a bed. A couple glasses of free wine, a meal then sleep. It's always quicker coming back too.

Rose

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 01:20:49 AM »

Hi Cg, living in Oz and still having two kids in Ireland plus grandchildren  :( I just have to grin and bear long haul flights or else. I wear flight socks (a must) then take a sleeping tablet after they give you your meal or they will wake you up to give it to you  :( then I put in ear plugs, and put on eye mask and if I'm lucky I get at least 7 hrs sleep. The flight from here to Singapore is 7 hrs and then the one to London is 14! so I usually try to sleep on the longer one. One of those neck pillows is great too. Wear really comfy clothes. I occupy myself with some of the movies that are foreign and usually better than the normal fare. I hate flying and wish I could afford the seats with beds but as it's so expensive already, there is no fear of that.

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »

Such a long journey. My brother & SIL know how that one feels. I thought sleeping tablets were a big no-no though. 

Business class, oh how I wish. My son's GF has got sleeping down to a fine art. She can sleep literally anywhere. She slept practically whole way to/from Florida.

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »

Look at www.stopjetlag.com. Requires effort, but it works.

After my husband retired, very stressed, and after my sister died aged 50, we travelled to NZ and OZ for 6 months, most of the time camping. IBS and camping do not go together very well, but most of the time I coped. Worth it though as I saw the stress falling away from my husband. Would never go away for so long and would now do it in more luxury. We came back with a better appreciation of what we have here, family, friends, countryside and history.
Pages: [1] 2