Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Digestive Enzymes  (Read 14305 times)

English Rose

Digestive Enzymes
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »

Hi ladies
Has anyone on the forum tried taking digestive enzymes (you can buy them from health shops) for IBS/indigestion symptoms; and if so how did you get on with them?

Thanks in advance, ER x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Digestive Enzymes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »

I think before you put anything into your gut you need to speak with a Dietician ;-).  What exactly are digestive enzymes ........... probiotics etc. have been researched thoroughly so the ins and outs are known. 

If you have continual indigestion you need to see your GP.  IBS can cover a multitude of symptoms, sadly - it can be Trial and Error to find something that helps.  Some things have to be taken regularly and some can be short-term, used as necessary.

I find that for indigestion Rennies or such like help.  For the IBS I drink Actimel.  My GP gave me in 1998 a set course of medication which I HAD to take within the hour of my main meals in order for it to work.  Colpermin capsules for upper gut wind, Maxillon (I think) for encouraging the gut spasm to move food through.  As an anorexic my gut had stopped working almost completely!!!!  It took 3 months before I began to feel well again. 

A proper diganosis for gut problems is essential.  At 'our' time of Life hiatus hernia is a common problem and can be controlled by certain medication.  Do go to your GP before yous pend out in a Health Shop.  Once you have a diagnosis and find something that eases symptoms  you can explore 'other' stuff.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »

There is rarely a quick fix!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »

:thankyou:  Teacher - YUK ;-) ;D

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »

Digestive enzyme supplements are used a lot in children on the autistic spectrum and my friend who died from pancreatic cancer this year also had to use them following the Whipples procedure he had to undergo.  :(

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »

Does the patient need the gut contents analysing in order to replace the 'correct' enzymes?

Winterose

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »

I have a friend with IBS and she uses them when she is eating at friends or restaurants with great success.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »

No you don't have to give a sample. I think that with children on the autistic spectrum a normal amount of digestive enzymes is not enough so supplementation is to boost the numbers already present. I've never really followed this up properly I must admit.

Taz

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »

Interesting.  How does not having enough enzymes affect the children?

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »

It's quite complicated but there is a bit of an explanation here http://www.care2.com/greenliving/enzyme-therapy-for-autism.html

Taz x

English Rose

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »

Thanks for the responses.
I am sure you mean well CLKD but I am not in need of advice re: going to the doctor, I am perfectly capable  and have already sought medical advice on this matter from my extremely knowledgeable GP and a gastroenterologist.
I was just interested to know if anyone has tried digestive enzymes as I understand it is a theory that digestive problems including IBS/indigestion in mid-life can be due to ageing of the pancreas and a reduction in secretions/enzymes.
Thanks for the clip Taz. Sorry to hear about your friend; very sad.  Winterose - interesting that your friend found them helpful for IBS, I'm thinking of giving them a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
All the best, ER. x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »

" ........  I am not in need of advice re: going to the doctor, I am perfectly capable ........ "

sorry I spoke  :'(

Limpy

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »

Thanks for the responses.
I am sure you mean well CLKD but I am not in need of advice re: going to the doctor, I am perfectly capable  and have already sought medical advice

"Has anyone on the forum tried taking digestive enzymes (you can buy them from health shops) for IBS/indigestion symptoms"

Sounded like a request for comment or opinion..........

English Rose

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 09:22:54 AM »

Hello CLKD
No need for apologies; I was just asking for womens' experiences with taking digestive enzymes - I was not in need of any personal health advice - perhaps I did not make this clear enough.
Best wishes, ER.
Pages: [1] 2