Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Lichen sclerosis scared ! :(  (Read 3598 times)

itsmetina

Lichen sclerosis scared ! :(
« on: September 17, 2013, 01:26:34 AM »

Hi it's Tina- today I went to my gyno because the vagifem gave me no relief . I told him my biggest problem and what's ruining my life is the severe itching and rawness outside the vagina - around it and near the anus.  He did a skin biopsy but said he's pretty sure it's lichen sclerosis.  I looked it up and now I'm beyond panicking and even cried in front of my kids tonight cz I'm scared.  Does anyone have this after menopause?  He gave me a cream and I'll go buy it tomorrow but this is not a cure as there isn't one.  It says that scarring can lead to cancer and I have scratched so much .  Any comments of anyone that's gone through or is going through this I am grateful too .  Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Lichen sclerosis scared ! :(
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »

If you use  the search button there is reference on the Forum ............ many conditions need to be 'managed' rather than cured  ;)

Elena

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »

That was an unbelievably crass remark for the gynae to make.  Cancer is a very rare complication of LS, you just need to be aware of the very slight possibility of it.

Has he given you steroid cream?  be careful not to use too much once the LS is under control as it thins the skin. Can you get a prescription for a daily moisturiser such as diprobase?

As CLKD says, if you do a search you will find several ladies on here with the same diagnosis. It's best to post in Private Lives if you want more of a response though.

itsmetina

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »

Thank you I'll do a search on the topic.  He gave me dermovate cream and I'll start it tonight .  I'm also going to take a sleep aid for the next little while because I wake up to itch.  Really hope this cream helps!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 06:08:23 PM »

Put on gloves too, woolly ones.  Then you are less likely to break the skin which could cause secondary infection.