Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil  (Read 3976 times)

chattygal

Mirena coil
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »

My doctor has suggested having the Mirena coil fitted and take oestrogen separately as my womb lining is a little thicker than normal and this coil will work to stop it increasing(I think) :-\ Has anyone else used this method of HRT and are their any nasty side effects i.e. bleeding etc

Hurdity

Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »

Hi chattygirl

I haven't tried this but there are lots who have.

Why not do a search and see what comes up?

Hurdity x

chattygal

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »

Thanks for the advice Hurdity. Being new to this site I didn't know I could do that and it has been a mine of information and help. So grateful

debil

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »

Hi, I had the mirena fitted  in 2007 aged 45, although this was for  contraceptive purposes as I was still pre menopausal. My periods stopped completely and I had no side effects at all- it was great.
 I went to the GP in 2010 as I could no longer feel the threads and was worried that it had fallen out .....my GP spent ages trying to find it and it had lodged itself up into my insides somewhere ! It was touch and go whether I would have to have a GA to remove it but fortunately she managed to locate it and remove it completely. Following removal my periods never returned so I have no idea if and when I went in to menopause...... I also have a large ovarian cyst that I am currently under gynea for and Ive been reading that the mirena can cause both early menopause and ovarian cysts .... I don't know how much truth there is in this though, it could just be a co-incidence! I have no idea how it would affect your womb lining though - Im sure someone else will be along to advise.
Debs xx

sweatybet

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »

Chatty girl

Mirena did not work for me but that was peri meno.  If your have it inserted you are stuck with it for at least 6 months as they dom not like removing it early because of its cost.  At least with patch, pill, gel you can stop it quickly.

Sb

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:55:50 AM »

Hi Chattygirl
I'm new to this site and have just posted my first blog on the site. I read your blog and felt I should respond.  I have had a Mirena coil and oestrogen gel for over 4 years now and am just starting to think about my future options.  I am 57 but life is very busy and stressful and I can't face all the usual symptoms of menopause, it wouldn't be fair on my husband, family, work colleagues or myself.  The Mirena/Gel combo has been quite good for me.  A little break through bleeding at the start and very occasional spotting throughout. A bit more prone to thrush and BV especially in hot weather. The gel allows me to use the minimum to keep my menopause symtoms at bay.  I'd give it a go if I were you - it has been the best option me thus far but I may try some of the very low dose HRTs now as I am older.  Good luck

Dyan

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »

Same here Chattygirl.
I'm 52 had the mirena for 5 years and sandrena gel for the estrogen.
Been good for me too.

ANGEL66

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 10:22:04 PM »

It seems like some people have really good experiences with the Mirena Dyan.  One of the things that put me off was the side effect of developing ovarian cysts and also the fact that they are difficult to insert if you haven't had children. Also one of my friends (who has had children), had endless problems with hers - constant heavy bleeding and ended up having it surgically removed.   :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:16 AM »

Everyone is different. Sometimes you simply have to jump into something and hope it works.  If meno symptoms are really effecting your life it's really worth trying the Mirena/gel or patch option. I've got to have my Mirena taken out soon as it's coming to the end of it's life. After trying so many other things its was definitely good for me over the last 4 yrs.
Listening to too many scares about possible side affects can make your options very limited - I had a work colleague say to me recently that she wouldn't consider an operation the doctors were recommending because  she had heard that any surgical procedures causes cancer!!! She couldn't tell me her reason for believing any surgery would cause cancer but was very adamant that this was true.
Questioning things can be very positive (as we see from this forum) but being too fearful can be negative.  DG x