Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hair loss from Vagifem  (Read 25950 times)

notpastit

Hair loss from Vagifem
« on: September 08, 2013, 09:04:45 AM »

I had had no side effects at all from Vagifem. Then halfway through the second month my hair started coming out in handfuls everytime I washed it.  :'(
I was already thin on top - at this rate I will have to get a wig! I'm putting it down to the drug as this is one of the known side effects.
I've stopped it and am considering getting one of those laser brushes and well as minoxodil. My diet is already healthy.
Just wondered if any one else had experienced it and what they did about it. Thanks.

Taz2

Re: Hair loss from Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »

Hi notpastit - I wonder whether your hair would have started coming out anyway if you were already thinning on top. Have you discussed this with your GP or consulted a trichologist to find out what might be causing it? I take it that you have been tested for thyroid or anaemia both of which can effect the hair?

It could be that as you are at the stage where your oestrogen levels have fallen low enough for vaginal dryness to be a problem then the other associated symptoms of meno, such as thinning hair, could also be appearing. I know that progesterone can cause hair loss in some women but it seems quite rare in oestrogen only preparations?

This is such an upsetting part of meno for some women. This is from this site

"Hair thinning, dryness and the growth of unwanted hair can be explained by the lack of estrogen and the relative excess of androgens in the menopause (the adrenal glands and the ovaries continue to produce some androgens including testosterone, the effect of which is no longer overridden by estrogen). However, hair loss may be more dependent on age rather than hormone related and response to HRT is unclear. Thyroid disease and iron deficiency can also cause hair loss and should be considered, particularly if there are other signs."

Taz

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »

Here are some reviews about Vagifem users, as usual there are some who are pleased with it and some who sufferer side effects.

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/rxlist_view_comments.asp'drug=vagifem&questionid=fdb18858_pem&page=2

There are quite a few pages to go through.

Rose

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 12:07:41 AM »

I have had severe reaction to Vagifem much to my regret and when I spoke to doc at Meno clinic, she said that it could be the other ingredients in the vagifem that are causing this. She is looking into bio identical cream for me to use instead. Also wondered how have others got on with bio identical alternatives to HRT?

Suzi Q

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »

MInes comes out too its gone very thin and combing loads come out nbut not hamdfuls
GP said t was a side and hairdresser says shes seen everyday people ith thinner hair\
Id rather have tin haior than the pain of ATROPHY only reinforced that the last 7 day atrophy blip even on Vagifem

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »

I have had severe reaction to Vagifem much to my regret and when I spoke to doc at Meno clinic, she said that it could be the other ingredients in the vagifem that are causing this. She is looking into bio identical cream for me to use instead. Also wondered how have others got on with bio identical alternatives to HRT?

Rose I'm not sure what you mean by bio-identical cream?

All the vaginal oestrogen treatments available here are bio-identical including vagifem.

Vagifem contains estradiol and the others (Ovestin and Ortho/gynest) contain one of the other estrogens - estriol. I think some countries eg US used to have one of the horse oestrogen creams based on Premarin but not in this country and may not even be available any more in US.

Most HRT in this country uses bio-identical oestrogen (estradiol) - the only exception being the Pre-marin or Prempak types made from horse estrogens. You can also get bio-identical progesterone in the form of Utrogestan  - so all bio-identical products are available on the NHS!

Hurdity x
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:36:49 PM by Hurdity »

Rose

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:35:29 PM »

Gosh, I am confused Hurdity! :-\ The Leaflet she gave me states that 'bio identical Hormone therapy is made or synthesised from plant chemical extracts(wild yam and soybeans) which are easily converted by biochemists into other molecules that are identical to our own naturally occurring hormones'. It also says that Pharmaceutical preparations contain progestogen which is VERY different to bio-identical progesterone. She has made out a prescription for me that is made up at a Compounding lab she uses and I will get it today. It's for Vaginal Atrophy as she said I was most likely allergic to some of the other ingredients found in Vagifem . She would also like me to use more natural forms of HRT as she said blood clotting is more likely found in the over 60's (not quite there yet!) on traditional forms of HRT. One other thing was that she said that HRT can stop the testosterone getting into our bodies (in tablet form) and that's the reason for the lack of libido. She suggested that using testosterone in cream form is much better. I really don't have a clue but just waiting to see what the vaginal cream will do as I am at the end of my tether. As I am on Durogesic patches for chronic pain, that may interfere with some meds. She has suggested I take Lycria in small does (25mg as opposed to 150 that my own GP gave me) to allow my body to accept it slowly. As I up the dosage I may be weaned off the morphine patches .