Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: I'm a newby!  (Read 2600 times)

LeighA

I'm a newby!
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »

Hi ladies. I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to meno, so thought I'd share my experience so far. Look forward to hearing thoughts and views on anyone else's experience. Well, I'm 47 and the fun all started about 10 years ago when I noticed a 'sandpaper' feeling (sound familiar?) in my vagina during sex with DH. I tried thrush treatments, got tested about 5 times for chlymidia, all with negative results. Doctors clueless, probably due to my age, but it's only now that I think that was my first meno symptom. Sex life has been difficult since then, although I have had 2 kids in that time, now aged 5 and 7. Periods now slightly irregular, hot flushes and insomnia started about a year ago. Joint pain started a few months ago. Have had thrush almost constantly for months, treatments ineffective. A friend suggested a herbal probiotic which I've started recently. Visited gynae and he prescribed Vagifem for dryness but I'm worried because I had epilepsy years ago. I also remember the contraceptive pill caused me problems. I was about 19 and getting ready to go out for the evening and my speech started slurring. I had tunnel vision and ended up with a raging headache. My mum was so worried she went to the doctors the next day to tell him about it and as soon as she mentioned slurred speech, he said that could be the beginning of a stroke and I should come off the pill straight away, mid-cycle. So, yeah, nervous about Vagifem but am pleased to read on this site about the non-hormonal vaginal treatments so I think I'll stop using the Vagifem. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this. Anyone had similar experiences?

LizeeeH

Re: I'm a newby!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »

hello Leigh
Welcome ;) ;)

sandpaper oh yes! Im on vagifem and all is ok (touch wood!) sleepless nights, joint pain Ive got the lot but dr's wont put me on HRT so I struggle on daily.....and have a nice glass of wine in the evenings LOL ;D ;D

Hurdity

Re: I'm a newby!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »

Hi LeighA

:welcomemm: from me too.

There is really no need to worry about Vagifem - very little is absorbed systemically especially after the first 14 days loading period.

Anyway there are other treatements such as Orthogynest pessaries containing estriol which is a very weak oestrogen but deals very effectively with VA in the same way as Vagifem.

Local oestrogens such as this are really the only way to deal with Vaginal atrophy which will only get worse without treatment as you get further into menopause - especially as you have had symptoms for some time.

Hurdity x