Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie here.  (Read 1679 times)

Dandelion

Newbie here.
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »

Hi

I'm 47 years old tomorrow and I think I might be getting perimenopausal symptoms, but I am not sure, because I am also reducing tranquilisers, and the symptoms of tranquiliser withdrawal that I have been experiencing sound really similar to peri menopause.

I overheat and wake up sweating or very hot most mornings.

I joined here to see what my best options are.

I must admit, I don't like going to doctors after they got me hooked on tranquilisers as I don't trust them anymore.

I am from the uk and would love to speak to other peri-menopausal brits, as then, I will have a good idea of what to expect when I go to the doctors.

I am also looking foward, of course to meeting other women from outside of the uk.

honeybun

Re: Newbie here.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »

:welcomemm:

Actually most of us on the forum are from the UK although we have some members from much further afield. We have at least two from Australia.

It's a shame you have little faith in your GP. Are you thinking of HRT. It would perhaps be a good idea to get past your withdrawal from tranquillisers before you start with anything else. If your symptoms are similar to meno then you won't know what's what until you are sure you are over your withdrawal.

Look around and join in. Lots of help here.

Honeyb
X

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »

Hi Dandelion

:welcomemm:

I can imagine you won't be able to sort out what symptoms are due to what, until you are completely off the tranquilisers.

However your periods should also give you some indication of whether you are peri-menopause - if they have changed in frequency, the type of bleeding etc. Many women do not get flushes until well down the peri- line ie after periods have begin changing and becoming irregular. Others are not so lucky and get them from the start!

I live in UK but hopefully someone from outside will be along when the time zone is right

Hurdity x

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »

Hi

I've been slowly reducing tranqs for four years, but the withdrawal symptoms are much better now that I am talking online to people who know what they are talking about, when it comes to benzos.
I thought I was suffering wd symptoms, but the flushes have chaged, they are hotter and more fierce, but not as bad as some women.

Periods are irregular. I got a different type of period, well dunno if it was a proper period. It happened at the right time but all it amounted to was dried blood on my tissue when I wiped after the loo.

Tbh, its a comfort to know some of these sx are menopause, as it means I can cut my tranquiliser dose quicker and be off sooner.

Dunno whether to start hrt. I have been advised by an austrailian friend to get some ostradiol(sp? and some progesterone for the days it is low.

all a bit new to me, dont wanna go messing my body up or turning my self in to a man with hormaones.  (you can tell i am pretty meno ignorant by that comment)

Look forward to learning about all things meopause.
thanks for your warm welcome.