Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: For those with elderly mother's.  (Read 18618 times)

honeybun

Re: For those with elderly mother's.
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »

Oh bless. My mother has not got a clue about her money anymore. Sis and I make sure she gets what she is entitled to. I often wonder what happens to elderly people who don't have anyone to help with the money and bills.
They could be very vulnerable.

Mother has yet another UTI. She is going to the GP this week. Something not right.

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 06:31:57 PM »

My mum has been having urine infections for several years and always has a course of antibiotics in reserve. Unfortunately just one of many health issues. I don't think she drinks enough. She says it is a common health problem at her age (86)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »

Could be AV ......... which of course is 'down there and not to be spoken about'. Could you ask the GPs concerned to give a course of pessaries as well as telling the Mums to drink plenty?  That way it won't be you making the suggestion but it may help ease bladder symptoms.

honeybun

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »

Mother has been on Vagifem for three years now.

I suspect it's self inflicted in some way or another.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »

Perhaps she doesn't 'use' enough of the product?  Either not enough each time or only when she remembers  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »

Does she get constipated Honeybun - this link says that constipation is often a cause in elderly people because it stops the bladder from emptying properly http://www.patient.co.uk/health/urine-infection-in-older-people http://www.patient.co.uk/health/urine-infection-in-older-people

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »

No she has the opposite problem Taz. I sometimes think her toilet habits are the problem.It's not exactly something I can tell her though. She is just old and done.
We have given her moist toilet wipes and discouraged the use of face cloths and sponges. Not much else we can do.

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »

I know my Mum is careful with personal hygiene. Poor lady has to cope with bowel incontinence night and day at times, which may play a part. She has a supportive GP and my Dad. All I can do is listen when she finds it too much.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »

JJ - is there an incontinence nurse attached to the Practice for support and advice on the new products available?
Pages: 1 2 [3]