Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dry socket ?  (Read 8666 times)

honeybun

Dry socket ?
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:01:41 PM »

My sister had a tooth removed on Friday. It was a crowned one and it crumbled. The dentist had a real problem and at one point resorted to trying to drill so he could get something to work with. He has left a little bit in. He will not do surgery on her because of a health condition. He said he thought it would be fine though.
She has started with a lot of pain today. I think it's dry socket. Anyone had this....How did it effect you and what happened. She is going to be at the dentist as he opens in the morning.
She is very worried she will have to go into hospital to have the little bit of remaining tooth removed.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

Re: Dry socket ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »

I haven't had this, but glad your sister is getting seen tomorrow.
Don't think she should be developing severe pain today.......
Get it seen

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:58:34 PM »

hi yes i had a dry socket a few years ago, the pain normally starts a few days after the tooth was taken out and it really is terrible pain, apparently what happens is the blood clot comes out from where the tooth was removed.
I was told at the time that if you rinse your mouth and spit (sorry) then it's the sucking motion which loosens the clot, i was also sucking through a straw while my mouth was still numb and thats something else which loosens it. I had two weeks of anti biotics and strong pain killers it really is agony, as for the bit that has been left in it's hard to say my son had a small piece left in after abstraction and it worked it's way out within a few weeks.
She really needs to see a dentist asap.
Hope she gets sorted out she has my sympathy.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »

Tooth was taken out Friday morning. The real pain started this morning. She says when she had a look there was no dark red in the socket just a sort of grey white look to it. From what I have read that could be down to the bone.

She is going on holiday in two weeks, I hope she is better by then.

Dentist in the morning....She is not even going to phone them, just turn up.

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »

yes honey bun that sounds like mine was, it is down to the bone, its horrible, but with some strong anti biotics and pain killers she should be fine for her holidays.
She is doing the right thing, ,my dentist saw me on a sunday morning when i had it, so that tells you they know how painful it is  :(.
I am sure they will sort her out.

Suzi Q

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 03:56:29 AM »

I agree Dentis today and Antis and maybe a chip to see if he can wqriggle the bit out
If not its alost certai it will come out of its own accord ANSTI asap xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »

If her Dentist won't operate then she requires Hospital intervention probably with anti-biotic cover.  Dry socket can be very painful and dentists don't really know what triggers it.

How did she get on over the weekend?

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »

The dentist has dressed the socket and given her more ABs. She is still in a lot of pain. She goes back to the dentist in the morning.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »

:thankyou:   Does she have pain killers?  400 Ibuprofen and Paracetamol, he surely hasn't left her with nothing - for me it was not knowing how long the pain would continue  :'(

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 06:35:07 PM »

She can't tolerate ibuprofen but she is taking codeine. She says it does not last long enough.
I feel so sorry for her, she is in such a lot of pain.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »

How is your sister today?  Maybe have a chat with a Pharmacist to see how much codeine she can take?  Sometimes it's the coating that people react badly too rather than the active ingredient  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »

She is in terrible pain. She has been referred on to a surgery clinic and is having the bit of tooth and remaining root removed  tomorrow.

She is at the point where she would let anyone cut her gum and remove it she is so desperate to be pain free. This time tomorrow it will be all over.

I do feel sorry for her as today she has to have on her happy face as she is hosting a little party for her granddaughter.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »

Tooth ache is the PITS  >:( - I remember it well. <sigh>

Hopefully in 48 hours she will feel much better. 

carrs

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »

I had a dry socket after the wisdom tooth was removed by a hospital dentist, but no pain at all, just a deep hole. My regular dentist said it would take 6 months to heal and I should have had antibiotics.

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:41 PM »

She has had the procedure done and has a good few stitches. The pain is back and she was told it would take a few days to settle.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2