Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Short-term memory failing ...  (Read 3468 times)

Witch hazel

Short-term memory failing ...
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:30:47 PM »

Hi,

I haven't posted for a while, but been a member for last couple of years.  Think I am perimenopausal (46, periods going irregular etc).  Sadly lost my mum 18 months ago, so cannot compare notes with her  :(

I have always prided myself on an excellent memory, great organisational skills etc, but just lately I have totally gone to pot!  My short-term memory is alarmingly lacking at times - I have to think very hard what I did yesterday, and any further back into last week can be a total mystery.  I even forget people's names sometimes, and when I'm typing or writing something I can struggle to find a word or how to spell things.  Its quite alarming at times  :o

I have occasionally literally got half way through a sentence and lost the thread of what I want to say. Its not good timing as I am applying for jobs at the moment, and whilst I try to come across as calm and in control at interviews, I am sure the panel wonder what sort of blithering idiot is sitting in front of them  ::)

I also sometimes get a sort of "out of body" experience, if that doesn't sound too silly - like I am there but looking in on what's going on instead of part of it  :-\

I am reassured to read that this can be down to menopausal symptoms, and hoping it will improve, or at least settle down a bit.  Am I right in thinking this is just my age, or should I seek some medical advice?  Is there anything you would recommend in the supplement line that might help this?

Thanks, L
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:32:48 PM by LesleyA »

Rose

Re: Short-term memory failing ...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »

Hi Lesley
I am not an expert but I too have periods when I 'forget' things and names are terrible for me. I am back at uni so studying is something that is helping me use my brain. Are you on any medication? I would go to the doctor just to be on the safe side but I think your symptoms sound pretty normal for the menopause. Hope some others come along and give you a better answer.

Delilah

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »

Hi lesley

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time with meno symptoms.  I too lost my mum before we were able to talk about menopause, she passed away quite young (64) and i hadn't reached that time. So sorry that you dont have your mum with you, its so hard when you'd give anything to be able to just chat with her isn't it, i know how it feels.

The memory problems do seem to be part of meno for some ladies. I found it hard to put a meal together some days and concentration went out the window.  The detachment you describe is also familiar.  Its very frightening when it happens and always sent me into an anxiety attack.  If your experiencing a number of symptoms ( list of meno symptoms in contents on left) i would say definitely start of menopause.  Not sure about natural supplements as i'm on hrt as symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks.  Why not have a chat with your gp and see what they suggest. I guess it depends on whether you feel like you can cope with the symptoms you have at the moment or want to try hrt.  Read up here on the experiences of others and get as much info as you can to help you make the decisions that are right for you.  I've found its very much trial and error with any meds but hopefully you'll find something that works and helps you feel better.

Take care
Delilah x

Witch hazel

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »

Thanks both,

It is hard not having mum to talk to about it, and even before she passed last year, she spent some time in hospital and was not able to discuss such things much, so all I can really remember about her "change" was the sweats/flushes, which thankfully I don't see to have got yet!  Can't even discuss with my MIL as she is old school and doesn't talk about such things  ::)

My periods have gone from regular almost to the hour, 4 week cycle with 6-7 days on, to anything from 3-5 weeks with maybe 2-3 days of hardly any discharge, to 7 days full on with heavy cramps - 1 day during the last one I was literally doubled up with and intense stabbing pain for a few minutes!  Definately a change in pattern so I'm convinced I am on my way  ;)

Funnily enough, my PMT temper seems less intense, but I just get tearful and anxious instead.  And my sex drive, what there was of it, has dwindled, although if I can bring myself to try, I do often "get in the mood" more easily than I thought I would.

None of this really bothers me though, as much as the memory issue, but taking on board the bigger picture, I think it is all part of my time of life and hopefully will improve.

Thanks for replies. My GP surgery runs a Well Woman Clinic so I might make an appointment and go along for a chat. Not really ready for HRT yet, as don't think anything I am experiencing is too difficult to live with at the moment.

:)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:26:06 PM by LesleyA »

Rose

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »

That sounds like a plan, Lesley and let us know how you get on. My Mum is still living and we have never discussed anything about menopause. If I ask her anything, she just says she can't remember! Hope all this gets sorted out for you. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 07:55:31 PM »

BUMP  ;)