Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any one paid to have new eye lens put in like for cataracts  (Read 11696 times)

Sarai

Re: Any one paid to have new eye lens put in like for cataracts
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 09:14:05 PM »

Very true, I had read so much I'm bog eyed, bad pun:)
I thought of laser years ago but opticians kept putting me off saying my eyes weren't bad enough to risk it.
I am wondering if all the people who say they still need reading glasses needed them before the laser? I am short sighted but not dreadfully so and I can read, though threading a needle is getting hard now.
Does the laser make you longsighted? I'm confused. Do the new lens make you long sighted?
I think I am going to have to take advantage of free consultations and see how I feel then.

lily

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »

I think the problem is that we get more long sighted as we age.  I've been short sighted since teens and it's only in the last few years that my reading sight has changed.  My distance lenses used to be fine for reading, but not now so that's why I have mono vision lenses so I have one lens for reading and the other for distance like vari-focal glasses.

carrs

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »

I had one new lens put in because of a cataract. I asked for a multifocal lens but was told they were not available on the NHS yet. I was put off by knowing that the varifocals also might have problems.

The new lens is fixed at the middle distance, which means I can see everything but not clearly focused. I als need reading glasses. I will need the other lens changed within the next couple of years and don't know what to do for the best - ordinary lens, or multifocal lens which is used for shortsightedness?

wombat62

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »

Hi

My friend in Spain has had it, around 4/5 years ago now I think. She used to wear contacts and like most of us got fed up when you then have to wear glasses for reading. An elderly friend of hers got it done first and ended up with 20/20 vision in her 70s which then prompted my friend to have it done. I'd never heard of it before but it may have been pioneered in Spain. Then our optician mentioned it to my hubby if his eyes got worse. My friend has had no problems and doesn't need any glasses at all.

My Dad who's vision was pretty bad had his cats done and lens replacement and can see so much better now, still needs glasses but not such a strong prescription.

I gather that it's less risky than laser as its a common op and you're not scraping away tissue which happens with laser. I'd be more inclined to go with lens replacement than laser.

I got fed up with having to wear contacts for distance but then couldn't read with them in, can read perfectly well without them in but then can't see distance! So tried multi focals but found it compromised distance when wearing sunglasses and at night, so now have the one short eye and one long eye! Takes a bit of getting used to and it's not totally perfect but so much easier than glasses on off or perched on nose!

hope this helps!
Pages: 1 [2]