Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Low Testosterone  (Read 12603 times)

Ju Ju

Low Testosterone
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »

I should be happy today. I have found out that I do not have Addison's Disease/ suppressed Adrenal Function, just very low testosterone levels. Just....... well no help is available on the NHS, other than HRT, which is a big NO as my sister died of breast cancer. I seem to be so exhausted all the time, yet often can't sleep. I haven't been able to work for some years and this year haven't coped with voluntary work or social occasions. As for sex.......well thank goodness that I am married to a loving caring man, who says that sex would be the icing on the cake. The endocrinologist suggested CBT. Thank goodness my husband was there, as I might have hit him! He did qualify this ...to help me cope with the symptoms I am experiencing. My husband replied we would rather sort out the cause. Any suggestions of where or what to do next?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Low Testosterone
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:41:28 PM »

First a  :hug: for you both!  Testosterone is not given in the UK my GP told me that my voice would lower - for ever  ::).

At least your GP has run tests and you now know what you haven't got.  Who has told you that, because your sister died of BC, you are unable to have HRT?  Have you had the genetic factor blood test?  I had breast disease treated with radiation and have the use of Oestrogen pessaries for VA.  This supposedly is not taken up by the body in any great amount so should not increase my risk of repeat disease.

Maybe see a Breast Surgeon for impartial advice?  Take long a list and your DH if you are able, make aprivate appt., you will get more time. 

Exhaustion can be caused by the constant rounds of GP visits, Hospital appt., the not knowing what is next!  >:( one step forwards, 6 back  ::)

Are you able to sleep in the day time?  I find that nearly 2 hours of good quality sleep helps enormously.  Tucked under a blanket with the radio on in the background ........... listen to your body and if your brain needs sleep, have it.  Take a good book to bed for those nights you can't sleep. 

Have you read the menus, left of screen?

TillyD

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:55:01 PM »

But testosterone IS given, I've had it. And my voice did not lower for ever. 

I doubt if any GPs prescribe it though

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »

Thank you. My GP has given me the names of a couple of private doctors I could go and see, so I am going to follow this up as I want to do more. I have a list of things I want to do with my life, but need more consistent energy to do them all. I can't sleep in the daytime, unless I'm in the car....as a passenger I hasten to add. I'll discuss the HRT question with whoever I get to see. Knowledge is empowering. I have no idea if my sister's cancer was genetic or just a 'blip'. I did have a run of scares, but fortunately they were benign. I hope you are well. I am feeling the benefit of 'talking' to people who understand.

And thank you TillyD. I'd be interested in your experiences. The endocrinologist was all doom and gloom about testosterone. I sing as a soprano and can reach high notes, but it wouldn't be a disaster if I became an alto. New challenge! More concerned about other side effects.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 07:40:13 AM »

After being urged to make use the 24/7 doctor's advice service provided by Benendon, which I subscribe to but have never made use of, I spoke to a doctor. He said testosterone may not relieve all the symptoms I am experiencing and questioned me about any pain I may be experiencing, like back pain. Yes I do get back pain, but it is rarely severe, attributed to poor posture and kept at bay by regular visits to the chiropractor. He said I should see my GP and discuss the possibly of Fibromelgia. I researched this condition and whilst many of my symptoms are similar, I do not have the pain they describe. This got me thinking that I have never sat down with a doctor and discussed what I am experiencing, for example, how exhausted I feel and the insomnia and how it has worsened since having a virus earlier this year. I wake up in the night feeling discomfort throughout my body, sometimes connected with bowel activity ( IBS). Sometimes, my legs and arms feel like lead. I have neglected household chores, as they seem like a mountain to climb. Sometimes, I do pull myself together to do chores, then feel exhausted. I rarely go out now. I have pulled out of the choir I sing with as after just half an hour I feel exhausted and the thought of performing is too much. I have managed to keep my lessons going, but they are only half an hour long. Would love to audition for a play in the amateur dramatic society, but realistically I'm not well enough. It's hard putting a bright sunshiny face on when you feel crap. I had an abusive phone call from a so called friend as I hadn't been in contact and had forgotten their son's birthday. I can't be dealing with that. Sorry I am rambling. I hate going to the doctor, particularly as many of the symptoms are vague and inconsistent. They only have a short time for each a appointment. I have a fear of everything being dismissed as depression. I do feel low when I feel ill, but when I feel better physically, then I feel bright and bubbly. I had clinical depression as a teenager. There is a difference. However low I feel the happy me is still there. Would a visit to  my GP be of value and what do I want to achieve by going? I don't know. A good night's sleep would clear my head. I would value some support. I had a lovely personal message but can't reply until I have 20 posts.