Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Not sure about HRT  (Read 5244 times)

tangobunny

Not sure about HRT
« on: August 25, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »

Started peri menopause about 28 months or so....only symptoms at the time were the  hot flushes,night sweats and joint pain......I didn't want to go down the conventional HRT straight away without trying  some alternative therapies first.....I've had over a year flush free by taking a combination of Sage,and Red Clover.......however neither of these were doing anything for my joint pain which could be really debilitating the the few weeks following my period ( which are still fairly regular)
Over the last 6 months or so I've had  really bad insomnia which I know is hormone related as when I go on holiday I take  a contraceptive pill (my daughters and yes my GP okayed it as it was the same one I was on years ago) to delay my period and during that time I sleep like a baby
went to my GP about 4 months ago and she prescribed Evorel conti.....I couldn't get on with them at all....made me feel sick,agitated,gave me palpitations and headaches.....so GP thought I needed something lower dose and prescribed me the lowest she could find which was the Premique......she told me to wait for my period before taking them which I did.....I've been taking them a month now and they have made a slight difference to my joints....don't get flushes at all but no difference to my sleeping habits at all......but I don't think I should be on these as I still have  periods....what would you advise I ask for when I go back   Ellest Duet ??....also have any of you had any experience of insomnia during peri menopause and how did you solve it.....I don't want to be taking sleeping tablets I don't agree with them
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:35:19 AM by tangobunny »

Elena

Re: Not sure about HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »

I can't advise but sympathise with you. I go through bouts of poor sleep and sometimes revert to using the Sleep Aid pills you can buy over the counter. 

HRT is a minefield.  My brain boggles just looking at all the choice  :o

sweatybet

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »

I am 4 years post meno and still do not sleep well.  Sometimes I am going to work on about 4 hours.  It's hell as I love my sleep.

Sb

tangobunny

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 04:08:34 PM »

I'd be chuffed with 4 hours....I've had to get work to put me on lates as there is no way I can do early shift any more.....I was going in on an 8am start having only had 1 hour sleeps some days

It doesn't seem to have a pattern....sometimes I can get to sleep after  laying there for an hour....only to wake up 2 hours later....and that will be it.......other times I go to bed and lay awake until past 5am  when I eventually fall asleep through sheer exhaustion ....but still I'm awake by 8.30am

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:19:25 PM »

I have found my wave/beach sound app really helpful. I have gone through periods of insomnia most of my adult life and this is the best help method yet and I have tried most things.
It just gives me something else to think about and helps me visualise somewhere peaceful.
HRT has never helped with my sleep as I have never got rid of my night sweats completely.

Honeyb
X

tangobunny

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »

Anyone got any advice as to whether I should stay on the Premique or ask to be changed.....it seems to suit me just fine however on reading the literature it seems I shouldn't be on them as I still have periods

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »

You could ask to be changed to the sequi version.

Honeyb
X

Chrislm

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:29 AM »

I would have thought you should be taking a sequential type since you are having periods.

I have been taking Elleste Duet 1mg for about 3.5 months and I am really sleeping - like a baby. Before I started taking them I was having nights when I struggled to get to sleep and I was waking in the night too hot. Maybe if you find the right type it will help.

Good luck

tangobunny

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »

Thanks for your replies
I've made an appointment to see my GP at the end of the month....
Stellajane
I'm assuming  from your post you suggest I take an oestrogen preparation such as Climaval or Elleste Solo and take the Ultrogestan at the same time......I notice it says on the HRT Prep page that this should only be taken for part of the cycle.....does this mean you would take it for 3 out of the 4 week cycle just as you would for a contraceptive pill......
Also as my GP took me off  the Evorel Conti as I was experiencing palpitations and headaches do you think I would be better off with a low dose Oestogen such as Premarin 0.3mg

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »

Hi tangobunny - on HRT, with most preparations you take the same dose of oestrogen continuously ie all the time, as the dose doesn't give oestrogen levels anywhere near as high as they would be at ovulation during a natural cycle. It is the progesterone you take for part of the cycle, if you are still having periods and not been 12 months without them.

As you will have seen from the HRT preparations, if you chose utrogestan you would take it for 12 days of each 28 day cycle.

Re Evorel conti - I don't know how long you were on it, but the side effects would have been most likely due to the synthetic progestogen - norethisterone - which you were absorbing all the time. This is notorious for giving some women headaches - it did me.

I wouldn't recommend Premarin personally, although some women are fine on it, while others have an extreme negative reaction from what I've read on here.This is a mixture of oestrogens made from the urine of pregnant horses, and many of the oestrogens are not the same as ours. If you want a low dose tablet oestrogen then you would be better off with pure estradiol as found in Elleste.

If you are prone to headaches or migraines then a transdermal method would be less likely to coause these sdie effects - and again there are several types to choose from.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

tangobunny

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »

Thank you Hurdity for your helpful reply....no I'm not prone to headaches....I very rarely get one.....I  was on the Evorel for about 6 weeks....I had to keep stopping and starting it  because of the side effects....first time I used it I only kept the patch on for 24 hours and had to take it off because the nausea and headaches were so bad......   tried it again a few days later and the same thing happened....persevered a little longer than the first patch but then when the palpitations and pounding in my chest started I took the patch off again....... this went on for about 5 or 6 weeks and then I gave up....the side effects from the patch were worse than the symptoms of menopause.
I will ask for the Elleste solo and Utogesteran 200mg

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »

Hi again

You will expect to get some side effects but they should settle soon so that you feel better on the HRT. Stopping and starting would have made you feel worse because of the hormone levels constantly going up and down.  it is greater stability in hormone levels we are all looking for in general! mIf you still get nausea and headaches with separate Elleste and Utrogestan, then an oestrogen patch might be the way forward.

Be sure to ask for "micronised progesterone" because if they haven't heard of Utrogestan sometimes it is not listed as it is a trade name.

Hurdity x

tangobunny

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »

I have checked and it is listed in the BNF....however I think on the 2 occasions I visited my GP for HRT she was looking at a combination therapy rather than separate so she wouldn't have come across it as an option