Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Considering coming off HRT.  (Read 22631 times)

honeybun

Considering coming off HRT.
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:52:27 PM »

It controls most of the flushes during the day but the night time ones are still there. Muscle aches and pains are still as bad as ever.
It does nothing for my anxiety so I am beginning to wonder why I am taking it.
I would continue with Vagifem for vaginal and bladder health.

If I came off it I could take St John's Wort which has always helped me.

I am very tempted to stop and see where exactly I am in meno as I have not got a clue. I am 53 now and have been on HRT for exactly four years now. Before I started I had been 7 months without a period.

Oh .....What to do. I suppose if it was unmanageable I could always start again.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

Re: Considering coming off HRT.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »

Nothing wrong in trying HB. Only thing I'd say is do it gradually as cold turkey is not nice.  I've to try reducing mine again in the New Year. Your body will soon let you know whether now is the time or not.

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:54:57 PM »

I went for my review a few weeks ago, the doctor said for me to start weaning myself off it in December. ( I will have been on it 2 1/2 years by then). She said to do it gradually and it's always better to come off in the winter because of the temperature.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »

I've tried both the weaning off method and the cold turkey method and, to be honest, it has been just as horrible both ways and I have restarted. Didn't you stop a while ago Honeybun to see if your anxiety improved?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »

It *is* getting close to C.mas and all *that* entales .........  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »

That's why I was told to wait until the New Year.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »

Taz you are right I did try before but I did not take anything else such as St John's Wort.
I have decided just to give it a go. I can always start again if I need to. I am fed up feeling rubbish so who knows perhaps I will get on ok without it as I really don't feel as if it's doing anything for me at all. What's the point if I don't feel good.
I have taken my patch off and I will give it a few months to see how things go.
I have also bought a few vitamins to see if I can go down the natural route.

I just want to feel like me again. I was talking to hubby about all the things I used to do. That woman must be in here somewhere and I want her back.

Maybe this way I can do that.

Clutching at straws.  :(

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »

Fingers crossed for you but don't be too hard on yourself.  :bighug:

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »

Hope it goes well.
As you say, you can always start HRT again if you want to

:hug:

Delilah

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »

Good luck honeybun, i hope it goes well for you. Its so heartening to hear success stories so keep us up to date.  You've decided to go cold turkey i see, i guess if you feel its not given you any improvements it wont matter if you just go for it.

Fingers crossed for you.

Delilah x

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »

Thanks all.
I could be running back to the HRT in a few weeks wondering what on earth I was thinking about but I am going to give it a good try this time. I know I can't feel any worse and its going to have to happen sometime during the next year as my surgery press for you to stop after five years. The last time I saw the GP he asked me how I intended to stop. I got the message loud and clear. I can't even change to a different practice as we only have the one here.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »

I'm now wondering why I have stopped when I have another six months before I'm 60! I suppose I just wanted to see what it's going to be like and now I know it's not cheered me up! It's nice to not feel bloated and to have lost a few pounds but the hot sweats are building up again now. I'm three weeks off it. I lasted three months before when I gave it up. I guess then I must have had more of my own oestrogen kicking around but now without the patches my own level is very low.

Good luck Honeybun. I hope you find that you are one of the women who come off with no side effects at all - like my mum did after a year on it.

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »

Good luck Honeybun. With your GPs having such a rigid timescale, they should back you. Plus if you do feel you need more oestrogen again, they can see that you tried and hopefully will help you.

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »

A lot of GPs and meno clinics have cut off dates no matter what you say. My surgery is five years and stop and others are stop at 60. Don't know that we get much say in the matter.

Honeyb
X

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 07:42:42 PM »

So sorry to hear everyone's woes and problems with HRT.

Honeybun - if you were still having night sweats then to me that indicates the oestrogen level is not high enough. The thing is from what you say, you started HRT when you were still peri - and probably the dose was sufficient as you still had some your own oestrogen. Approx two years from the date of your last real period (ie true menopause - many of us don't know when that is because we go onto HRT before this time) your oestrogen (estradiol) drops to its lowest and remains there from what I understand.

After this it could well be that you need a slightly higher dose for a while as symptoms begin to kick in again. My feeling is that you could try a slightly higher dose eg 75 mcg. After all you are still young. I only started HRT just before I was 54.

I am sorry to hear that your anxiety hasn't improved with the change in HRT - so maybe the progestogen wasn't the problem - or at least not the only problem? However as others have said - going cold turkey re HRT can be tricky. For me the symtpoms started to come back probably around 6  weeks - 2 months and they were much worse in that I had symptoms I never experienced before - but I can understand your frustration.

I would not want to be without it though, while there are no medical reasons for me not to be on it.

Various of you in this thread have mentioned cut off times and what the doctors have siad.

littleminnie - I am appalled at what they have said to you!

I really do think that it is up to us as women to decide how long we want to stay on HRT - and make sure we are not dictated to by the medical profession - particularly as many are not as informed as they could be.

From what I have read the most up to date current thinking (including Dr Currie who started this site) is that, provided we are told the risks (well the "official" risks - which come from the Womens Health Initiative Study etc - and which are on all the packs of HRT/oestrogen that you can buy) - then it is up to us to decide whether or not to accept those risks.

Please - if you want to stay on HRT, and there is no medical reason why you shouldn't stay on it, and you are happy on it - then make sure you speak out. I think it is important to be clued up and state where your opinion comes from.

The latest statement from the British Menopause Society/Women's Health Concern (2013) by Nick Panay et al had this to say:

The HRT dosage, regimen and duration should be individualised, with annual evaluation of  pros and cons.......
If HRT is to be used in women over 60 years of age, lower doses should be started, preferably with a transdermal route of administration.

These statements have been made taking into account the latest research findings.

Yes you do have a say, but it does take courage to speak out - and it is disgraceful that women who are at a vulnerable stage in their lives are put in the position where they have to argue their case.

Those who are being asked to come off because of the published risks (from the WHI and MWS) please get referred to a meno clinic if you can and speak to a gynae doctor and quote the latest info.

It is your right!

Hurdity x

Pages: [1] 2 3 4