Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel/Utrogestan  (Read 4064 times)

Liz

Oestrogel/Utrogestan
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »

Hi everyone - I've been using the low dose of Oestrogel (1 pump) for a week now and it seems to be suiting me, touch wood.  My GP actually prescribed me 2 pumps to be used with Utrogestan on days 15-26 of each cycle.  As I'm only using 1 pump, does anyone know if I still need to take the 200mg per night of Utrogestan?  I know the capsules have now changed to 100g, so obviously would be taking 2 per night, but they do seem to knock me out a bit, so I was wondering whether 100g would be sufficient or perhaps not advisable? 

Has anyone else found that 1 pump Oestrogel is sufficient for them?  I'm peri, aged 46.  My emotions seem to have settled better on 1 pump gel as on the 2 pumps I was very tearful.

Any other experiences with the Oestrogel/Utrogestan combo would be appreciated - thanks.

Liz

Re: Oestrogel/Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »

Thanks Stellajane.  What sort of problems do you experience on Utrogestan, if you don't mind me asking?  I just feel very tired and have some weird dreams, but nothing too bad.

I haven't tried it vaginally - keep wondering whether to but worried it may set off thrush as I do suffer with that.  Also, with regard to erm, "relations" - could be a bit difficult.  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 04:52:20 PM »

Hi Liz

You are still peri aren't you? While 100 mg might be enough, the doses are an approximation and it is not possible to tailor them to suit individual women, and especially not in peri-menopause when your oestrogen and progesterone levels are fluctuating. If you are peri, then the chances are you will have cycles when you don't ovulate, in which case the extra progesterone will help to thin and shed the lining that builds up in between times.

I use 200 mg vaginally for a long cycle - as Stellajane says you can get away with less because more is absrobed, but the amount is guesswork and preferably carried out with the sanction of your doc to keep an eye on things.

re using it vaginally - yes "relations" are tricky eg when we've  undulged I then wonder if I need to put another one in, in case it all the progesterone gets washed out so to speak! Side effects for vaginal use - it always irritates my bladder so have to get up in the night (I do anyway most nights but defo have to with utro).  I also get thrushy type irritation between the upper labia but sort it out with Canseten or fungal foot powder if it starts, which always does the trick.

Other side effects - I get the dream thing too. Look if all you feel is tiredness and the dreams then that's brilliant - it is bound to have that effect (the tiredness) with most of us because it is a sedative and taken in high doses to ensure enough gets to the uterus. I tend to get foggy head after about 5 days which then continues for the rest of the cycle and sometimes get migraines too. Like Stellajane says though - it's definitely the best of the bunch in terms of progestogens!

Hurdity x

Edit - I mean "indulged" of course!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:04:47 PM by Hurdity »

Liz

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »

Thanks, as ever, Hurdity.  You really are a very helpful lady - Yes, the sleepiness and dreams are the only side effects I get, so I'm thankful for that.

Thrush has always been a problem for me.  Sometimes "relations" set it off, which is a real pain! :o

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:35:56 PM »

Yes 100mg x 12 days...makes me very wakeful...kind of wired up feeling and dreams as well... going for annual scan though as its not the licenced dosage but 200mg was a tad heavy going for me...

Liz

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:14:02 AM »

Had the most bizarre dreams last night..... also find I'm dreaming if I fall asleep on the sofa (which I usually do with the Utrogestan).  Does anyone else find this?  They're not scary dreams, thankfully, but really vivid and bizarre.

Liz

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »

Now you come to mention it, my mouth gets very dry too.

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 02:56:14 PM »

Have had a couple of erotic dreams on the Utrogestan....must be the hormones...but then I wake up...sigh.... ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »

My mouth is dry every night nowadays and I keep waking up thirsty! Nowt to do with the Utro for me .... Sorry to hear you're having a really hard time with it Stellajane - you;re obviosuly one of the unlucky ones who really are progesterone intolerant.

Erotic dreams? Now that would be a bonus  :)

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »

I think i'ts because we need to take it in such high doses in order to protect the womb. It is such an unstable compound and eg when taken orally a lot is lost to digestion etc but the body reacts to all the metabolic by-products. I think this occurs even when used vaginally because probably more gets into the system than would do naturally.

For example I used to get pms just before my period ie the progesterone withdrawal - ie when having natural periods, but was fine during week 3 when it reached its peak - so was not affected by my own progesterone - but I definitely am affected by taking it externally, even vaginally - not as much as some women but enough to notice.

I did have a link to a scientific paper that explained the dosage and absorption of the different progestogens and why you need large doses of prog itself but basically was as I said above (you have to pay for the paper now!).

Annoying isn't it? Would be good to have an implant or something but I presume it's in the nature of the molecule that this isn't possible.

Still better than the synthetic alternatives though....

Hurdity x