Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: pet rabbits  (Read 13843 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: pet rabbits
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »

GPs and rabbits hail from different Continents.  Some get on as companion animals in the same way as some highly strung racehorses will have a goat or donkey as a friend.

My bitch had pyometra - I kept her entire as spaniels are known to get 'rough' coat when neutured: and she did  :-\

clio

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »

Thanks for all replies, im not having the rabbits now, felt I didnt know enough to be able to look after them properly.

Clio

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »

I hope we did not put you off. I knew absolutely nothing about rabbits before I got one and learned as I went along. We got a bit evangelical and for that I apologise. They are really easy....Good hutch ,good food and leave them to get on with things.

Oh dear....I feel really bad now.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »

Don't feel bad.  The more 'stuff' people are aware of the more informed choices they can make.  If I knew then what I know now  :'(  :-\

clio

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »

Its ok honeyb, I wasnt aware of yearly jabs for rabbits and the maggot thing, I did panic do decided best not to hav them.

clio

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »

Just to add for the past week ive a cat who comes to my house every day for a few treats and a snooze on my kitchen chair. She stays for about an hr then goes on her way.

karenw

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »

I hope you'll reconsider because bunnies are wonderful pets, very affectionate, enjoyable to watch and relaxing to cuddle - and I speak from 42 years of experience!  They are not difficult to care for and an annual trip to the vet for their vaccinations is very straight-forward.  There are products available to help prevent fly strike but providing they're kept in clean conditions and fed the correct diet, you don't really need to use these.

If you'd like the link to my bunny care website which includes lots of info, then please just send a PM.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »

Fly Strike affects most furry animals if the conditions are 'right' ; cattle, rabbits, elderly dogs/cats/sheep ....... it can happen suddenly, in a matter of hours.  I was babysitting a Lion head rabbit for a neighbour and sadly it got fly strike - the Vet told me that it never fails to amaze her how fast this dreadful condition happens  :-\ .......... sadly bun had to be PTS.  She was lifted every day and checked underneath ...... she was quite a young bun and on dry floor boards with only a small amount of stray but the flies got at her ....... <sigh>.  Fortunately there are now products which can deter the flies.

I have a friend whose indoor rabbit loves curry  ;D  ........ she will lick the plate ......... she has the run of the house unless they are out when she has a hutch in case she fancies the wiring in the house  ::)

Our Buck weighed in at 11 and a half pounds  :o

karenw

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 08:35:14 PM »

Your buck was tiny compared with my largest girl who's currently 8kg/17.6lb and still growing!

Fly strike can be treated successfully if it's caught early.  It's not a pleasant task to remove maggots as they hatch but I've had 3 cases in my own buns (average of 12 buns + kits at a time over 42 years - to put this into perspective) and treated a few others.  Providing there are no underlying problems - eg diet, dental problems, illness etc, it's really not too common and I wouldn't want the very low risk of this to deter anyone from owning rabbits (or any pets).

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »

<wave> Karen

I think if pet owners watch carefully there isn't a big problem, obviously Vets see it a lot either in pets or farm animals.  Wonder how Zoo Keepers avoid the animals getting struck  ??? - one can hardly say 'excuse me Mr Tiger, let me lift your tail'  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]