Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hair styles  (Read 12906 times)

Scampi

Hair styles
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »

Reading Ariadne's thread got me thinking ... I haven't been to the hairdresser for several years (no, really, I haven't!!).  I've never liked having my hair done - I can't see a thing without my glasses, so I feel really vulnerable when I have to take them off.  On top of that, I have scalp psoriasis (quite badly) that I find embarrassing as my head constantly produces massess of skin flakes (multiply bad dandruff by 100 and you're getting close!) and the patches get very sore if they are 'messed' with too much (so hours of brushing, combing, styling, etc is a no-no - even washing my hair irritates sometimes); and arthritis in my neck, shoulders and hands means I can't blow-dry my hair as I can't hold the hair-dryer up for any length of time - all I can manage is brushing it through.

So, the upshot of all that is my hair is all one length (about half way down my back) and lives in a pony-tail!  I would like a new look - I'm even prepared to pair a decent amount to get in done properly - but I have no idea how to look for a hairdresser who will listen to my list of issues and not laugh (I dread walking into a salon and some glamour-puss fresh-out-of-college 'stylist' take one look at me and making that 'sucking through the teeth' sound that conveys complete contempt), never mind what style of go for!!  Do any of you lovely ladies have any ideas? Even the thought of trying to make an appointment makes me anxious, never mind actually going, and I'd feel stupid asking a friend to hold my hand for a hairdresser's visit!  Help!

Pennyfarthing

Re: Hair styles
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »

I have long hair too Scamp and mine is always twisted up in a pleat or, more often in a "messy bun".  I colour it and very occasionally I go and have lowlights put in it.  I always condition my hair too.  Have you tried rinsing your hair in vinegar or lemon juice for your flaky scalp?

ariadne

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »

Scampi, I too hate visiting the hairdresser and have only been a handful of times, preferring to have a mobile hairdresser visit me at home. I feel very self conscious sitting in front of a mirror with a young glamorous hairdresser staring at me. I do have to go to a hairdresser now as my stepson's partner used to cut mine but now they have split up.

Could you find a mobile hairdresser to come to your house? I'm sure you would find it much less of a trauma.

I suffer from a very dry and itchy scalp - I used to dread hair wash days because I knew as soon as my head touched the pillow that night, my scalp would be itching like mad. But then I found E45 Shampoo which has worked really well for me.

I had my hair cut short recently and have gradually allowed it to become lighter and lighter so that I don't have to worry about roots. It's now a silvery blonde rather than a honey blonde and I can colour it myself at home. I was a bit worried that I would look like a man with my hair short but I do like it and it's very easy to dry now. I'm not so keen on the silvery blonde look but I know it's the best thing unless I want to deal with roots every 4 weeks.

ariadne xx

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »

Never worn my hair any longer than shoulder length.  Used to be bobbed many moons ago.  But it's hard to keep as I have thick, fine hair. So opted for short hairstyle. Then decided to grow it again.  It aged me terribly. So started searching online for pictures of styles I liked and printed them off.  Took to my hairdresser to give him ideas. Been short ever since.  My hairdresser is a one man business so only ever him & me in his shop.
If you want a change, try looking for pictures.  They say it's easier to shorten gradually as a complete change can be very scary, unless you have a lot of courage that is.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »

I also have a home hairdresser. I hate sitting in a salon with beautiful people and feeling a mess. Is there anyone in your area that would come to your house. Ask friends and neighbours for a recommendation.
If you Google hairstyles for your age group and also face shape there are some good ideas.

I also have short hair which is easy to manage but is not masculine. I don't have it as dark as I used to because it ages me even though I am naturally dark haired.

A good cut and colour can take years off you.

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »

why is it that so many of us feel that when we go to the hairdressers, that every one looks good except us ?
I feel exactly  the same i sit there thinking please hurry up as i sit looking at myself in the mirror and feeling like a big mess and i dont always feel like that, but in the hairdressers i do.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 04:04:24 PM »

I go to Toni and Guy and there are women (and sometimes men) of all ages in there and I feel fine. I know I look older than I woul like in the harsh bright light with the hair off my face, but it's an artificial environment and you just need to keep smiling!! I always make a joke of it. I enjoy being there and being made a fuss of and a lovely head massage after the wash.... Try to find somewhere like this and you will feel good!

I have never had short short hair since age 18/19 and had it very long until it got too much of a hassle to colour the roots (due to greys) - probably about 10 years ago cut to layered shoulder/mid length I suppose. I am lucky that it's thick and wavy - but yes I colour every 3 weeks because the roots show and have recently gone back to henna ( mixed with Indigo) for a reddish look.

I wouldn't have short hair off my face now because it would make me look too old - would show the sagging chin neck and jowels (ugh)  which really don't seem to show with the hair-style I have  around my face and with fringe.

Hurdity x

ann123

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »

Have you got any friends local that use a hairdresser and can recommend.
Make an appointment to go and just speak to him/her and start to build up a relationship of trust, get some ideas, nothing drastic, just a change.
If you trust them and they understand your issue, they will be considerate and take there time....like a new lover!!!!!

melanie61

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 05:51:14 PM »

My daughter is a hairdresser for a reputable salon,She is very professional and takes her job seriously.
I think you will find that a good salon will have highly trained staff that have seen every kind of hair and all manner of associated problems.
They will treat you with respect and understanding.
If you mention your worries to the receptionist she will pick the best stylist able to help you.
Melanie x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »

A good stylist will do an assessment of your scalp if you ask.  They should discuss with you the whys and wherefores of the condition.  You should be able to have a talk and then if you think you require it, make an appt..  You could also have the ends snipped as a 'dry cut' or ask if they will dampen the ends and take ?" off. 

Avoiding chemicals is important.  It strips the hair.  I stopped having a colour about 18 months ago and now have a salt/pepper look - it works for mini-Schnauzers  ;) ......... I used to look at the magazines and ask for a cut I fancied but it never came out like the photo  ::) ....... this time I had to ask the girl to switch off the hairdryer as she was burning my head  :o

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »

Mine is cropped short with a long fringe ( I have a small fine boned face so it suits me) when it was very long people were always touching it but it I think it over whelmed me and I was all hair. It was liberating to cut it.

I originally had fair hair that streaked in the sun, but have gone dark too. I have finally settled on a silvery blond ( after some disasters with honey and golden blond, it just looked coated and muddy and took away my natural highlights)  which is easy to maintain, I just do the regrowth with Belle Blonde Natural Extra Light Blond. It makes my eyes look greener and keeps the shine.

I cut my hair myself, not been to a hairdressers in years and I do get compliments so it can be done.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »

I had a short boy crop until about aged 8 then Mum 'allowed' me to grow it long.  So long that it almost reached my bum.  I had it cut quite short in the early 1970s and it was shoulder length when we married. Kept it like that until I decided to have it permed  :o : twice.   Looked like Alaistair  ;D
When I had it cut short my Boss walked into the Office and straight out again ........ then peered round the door: "Is it you?"  :D

Now it is short.  It won't grow longer than ear length before it starts to curl up  ::) ....... I had it coloured several times, either by our visiting hairdresser or using a wash in wash out ............

dylan

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »

have u looked on the hair dressing sites , give you some idea , its just a thought , but i wonder , if your problem , might get better , with a shorter cut :) a mobile hair dresser , like the other lady , has mentioned , might be worth looking at :) i love to have , mine done , but i guess , we are all diffrent .

Dyan

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »

I had a bob cut with a very very short fringe in the 60's
Use to go to the barbers with my brothers so it did look a bit hacked. :-\
I've had long hair,short hair,the 70's midi ( remember them?)
But I've always gone back to a bob one way or another with a fringe but NOT
short as in the 60's.
Is it now cut shorter at the back and comes longer round the front to chin level.
I've been seeing the same hairdresser now for 36 years and he runs his hairdressers with one other male stylist.
Feel very comfortable there and get a cuppa too and very pleased each time I leave.
My hairdresser is 72!
Wouldn't change him for the world.

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »

My mum always kept my hair short to make it grow thicker.  ???  She cut it most times. Anyhow come teenage years I got to wear it a tad longer, fringe dragged off my face to let spots heal. Grew it a bit more, she sent me to get it permed, which I loathed. At 16 on holiday with friend and her folks it was just long enough for a titchy pony tail, something I always wanted. She berated me for it. However, my brother & his GF persuaded my mum to send me to proper stylist in Glasgow, where my hair was cut into a bob. I was in heaven and never again did she get near my hair with scissors.  She helped me colour it a few times but that was it.
Pages: [1] 2