Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Doc took me off HRT  (Read 3494 times)

SharonDerby

Doc took me off HRT
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

Hi ladies i hope today is a good day for you all :)

I'd like some advice if possible.
I started HRT premique low dose 6 months ago after not much research i have to admit.

I initially felt better, but looking back i think that was a coincidence because after a week or so i felt nothing had changed, i persevered for 3 months and even tho premique is a no bleed pill i was having periods again, which when they came made me feel better odd???? but feeling no great benefit i returned to the doctor who said i was only on the low dose and could double it if i wanted, she asked if i was still having hot flushes which i wasn't so she then said oh maybe stay on low dose then for another 3 months, which i did but have felt wretched, anyway i went back to docs last week and saw a diff doc who was horrified i'd been given HRT, he said i was too young (i'm 50 in jan) and although bloods indicate menopause i had not gone a year without a period (10 months i'd gone) but periods had been erratic for 4 years. SO he has now taken me off HRT and told me to have a FSH test again in 6 weeks :( i feel so confused and very very unwell, i'm not sleeping i'm exhausted, i'm having hot flushes again, i ache from every bone in my body, headaches every min of the day which nothing is helping,i'm confused and forgetful again completely and utterly fed up.
As mentioned in a previous post i have had a total thyroidectomy so have no thyroid at all and take levothyroxine for that, recent blood tests are fine, and having had thyroid problems all my life i'm pretty clued up and know it's not the thyroxine causing the problems.
I guess what i'd like is your opinions on what HRT i could / should try, i am certain taking something would help and i'm pretty sure if i went back to the doc that originally prescribed the HRT for me she would give it me regardless of other doc taking me off it.

Hope someone can help cos i'm leaving for the states in 3 weeks n i'm dreading feeling like this in 95 deg Florida sunshine lol

Thanks for reading ladies
Sharon :) x

Suzi Q

Re: Doc took me off HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:23 PM »

Im sorry I went cold  Turkey at 37 till last period 19 years ago
It was the time HRT was a dirty word and family history of heart no chance then
I had all the same symptoms and finnaly after periods almost stopped I was so dry
My GP put me on the MINI pill and Orthogynest cream for the fanny
It helped enormoiusly yes still had flushes the ants mood swings but other than that I was OK
Yes I was tired I drank loads of lucozade hehhe so sorry I cant comment
I think HRT is a person choice but even so something you have to think hard about
Do I regret taking it as I really should we know ow that it was premature Ovarian failure
Now adays medicines would be given BUT honestly no I dont regret it at a
I didnt get fat I didnt have to worry about BC rem,ember this was mid 90s
I just stopped my periods normally slowly over 7 years but thats me what ever you sdo is right for you

Delilah

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »

Hi sharon

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I would say your first gp put you on the wrong hrt. If you still had'nt gone a full year without a period you should have been prescribed sequential hrt not conti. The premique probably wouldn't suit you and maybe you should try again and persevere with a different sequi hrt. Cant understand why the second gp took you off completely unless they want to see where you are with your periods before prescribing something new to try.

Unfortunately with only 3 weeks before you go away its unlikely you'll be able to settle onto something else quickly enough to have any great effect before you go.

I've been on femoston 2/10 now for 2 years which is a sequi hrt, i'm 51 and was still having periods when i started on them. Took a while to start feeling good but at least 70% improvement in symptoms.  I'm afraid its very much trial and error with hrt until you feel somethings working and it takes time as i'm sure you know.

Not sure what to advise you with your hols approaching but would say pop back along to first gp and get yourself informed on the different hrts before you go then depending on your periods ask to try another hrt.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your trip.

Delilah x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »

I agree with Stellajane

Aside from what your unhelpful and ignorant doctor has said (really an up-to-date training day on menopause & HRT should be madatory!), you would be better of on a cyclical HRT.

Yes - do not delay - get along to GP asap and try something else. I agree if you are OK with pills Femoston would be a good choice to try. You would need to time it with your last bleed though which mightbe tricky - but you could always start the packet at a point to coincide. You still might get an odd bleed until it settles but at least you may well feel better even in that short time scale.

How long are you going away for?

Pity it's now Bank Hol w/e as you won't get an appt until next week but do try!

Hurdity x

Chrislm

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »

Hi Sharon
How frustrating for you! I am nearly 50 and still having (somewhat erratic) periods. I started taking Elleste Duet 1mg just over three months ago and I feel so much better. In my case, I started to feel better within a couple of days and 'normal' again after about a week. If it was me, I would go back to the GP, ask for a sequential type and start taking them as soon as possible. You could be feeling great again by the time you go away.
(The thing that prompted me to start taking HRT, despite my previous reluctance, was a long awaited holiday to Australia earlier this year which was almost ruined by tiredness and nausea).

Good luck