Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Food Steamers  (Read 9852 times)

libby1

Food Steamers
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »

Hi Girls

Does anyone use a steamer for their veg etc? Any recommendations? I had some steamed veg last night and was amazed at the difference in taste  :)

Libby
x

honeybun

Re: Food Steamers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:35:16 PM »

I use a micro steamer which is great. Not sure about the electric one's though. I suspect it would be another thing that would end up in the back of the cupboard along with all the other stuff I took a fancy to.

You can get the metal ones that you put inside a saucepan. I have one of those too.

Honeyb
X

ariadne

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »

Now it's funny you should ask that. Because I bought one of those tiered electric steamers years ago, used it a couple of times and never really got the hang of timings.

But recently, in the last Tesco vouchers offer where you could collect Pyrex, I got the casserole with steamer top that you can place on the hob and I LOVE it! I can get 3 different veggies in it, saving on hob space and the veg is nice and "al dente" with a lovely colour to it.

ariadne xx

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »

I use a 3 tier steamer all the time.  It was about a tenner from argos. Not electric or anything posh but marvellous.  Just a large saucepan with 2 steamers on top which you use on the hob.   Wouldn't be without it.

libby1

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:23:38 AM »

Interesting  :)

I'm reluctant to buy an all singing all dancing one in case it ends up in the cupboard. I don't like cooking in plastic, so the microwave ones are out  :-\

Ariadne, which one did you buy?

Thanks girls

Libby
x

Witches Cat

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »

I use a 3 tier electric steamer all the time, I have used and abused so many of them now, it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little you pay for them they all seem to work beautifully, I have a 4 tier steel one for the gas hob too, and at Christmas that is brought into service if nec as well. I use mine for all veg (unless roasted) plus tomatoes for breakfast, Rice, did try boiled eggs once, but not a roaring success. I collect the water from the drip tray underneath for the gravy, or if doing cauli for cauli cheese, the water goes with milk to make the cheese sauce,.  Wouldn't be without one now  (Much like my bread maker, worn out 4 of them)    ;)

ariadne

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »

If you type Pyrex Pyroflam Steamer into Google you should see it. I think they are about £30 when not on a Tesco promotion - I didn't pay that much as I had tokens. You can use it as a casserole dish too. The steamer basket bit mustn't be set on the hob though - only the casserole dish.

ariadne xx

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 05:27:11 PM »

I had 3 tier one which I binned. Pain in the neck. Veggies tasted horrid. I followed all the instructions to the letter. More bother than it was worth. Prefer cooking on hob.

libby1

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »

Ordered a fairly cheap one (over the pan). Any tips?

Libby
x

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »

Yep, don't steam veggies for too long. To start with, I thought they couldn't possibly be done in 5 to 10 minutes and so ended up with some limp and soggy veg but I've got the hang of it now and love the way the veg has a bit of bite to it.,

ariadne xx