Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie to here & HRT  (Read 2695 times)

Antatoo

Newbie to here & HRT
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »

Hello all,
This is the first time I've written on here so I hope this doesn't sound stupid  :-[
I'm 52 but have had no periods & been having hot flushes since the age of 43. The last 3 or 4 years I have been struggling with painful sex and reading up on it, think it's probably vaginal atrophy so I thought enough is enough and decided to try HRT.
As I now live in Spain, I wasn't sure what was available and if I'd have any problem getting the right type, but went to the doctor and she was very understanding.
She did the checks for any problems and told me all the risks and I decided to go ahead.
I am now on Duofemme (Novofem) the type with two tablets, 16 red & 12 white and it says in the information that you have a bleed once a month.
I have only been on them for a week so far and I can feel them working slightly already so I'm not complaining but has she given me the right type for me?
I probably seem naive but it never occurred to me that I'd be having periods again after 9 years of none.
Sorry for ranting on so much but it sometimes feels a bit isolated out here & there's no one I can have such personal conversations with.
I am due to go back to the docs in a month to check my progress so any information would be gladly received  :thankyou:

Hurdity

Re: Newbie to here & HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »

Hi antatoo

:welcomemm:

Of course it doesn;t sound stupid and very sensible question.

You are quite right that at your stage (no periods for 9 years) it is usual to start on a no-bleed HRT, ie you would take a constant level of oestrogen and progestogen all the time and would not get a monthly bleed - although you might get some bleeding/spotting in the first few months until your body acclimtaised to the new regime.

However whether by accident or design you have been given a cyclical HRT, but actually this could be a good thing because you will then be able to decide if the progestogen suits you. This is what normally causes the problems - if any - with different HRT types. So - I would carry on with this. If you end up feeling much better on the first lot of tablets - but not good on the second lot, then you'll know to try a different type (of progestogen). Usually it's best to try each type for 3 months .

Since you have been without oestrogen for that long, and at a fairly young age, it is important to have oestrogen to protect your bones - so rather than give up on HRT, i really would try this out - if you can cope with having a bleed after all this time (I still have an HRT induced bleed at 60!).

The other thing is to deal with the vaginal atrophy I would also think about using vaginal oestrogen in addition - especially once you are acclimatised to the systemic HRT (pills). Many of us on here find that the pills/patches aren;t enough to keep us plumped up down there so use Vagifem or orthogynest pessaries or Ovestin cream in addition. All the information is on the menu to the left - but you might have to Google what is available in Spain!
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Hope this helps and please feel free to rant whenevr you feel like it!

Hurdity x

Antatoo

Re: Newbie to here & HRT
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »

Thanks for the quick and most informative reply Hurdity.
It has made me feel loads better and looking forward to what I have to come.
I'm really pleased I found this site - it seems a great discovery with lots of good information and help.
Thanks again
Ant