Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Removing patch residue with Surgical Spirit - DON'T DO IT - SEE LAST POST  (Read 20102 times)

honeybun

Re: Removing patch residue with Surgical Spirit
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 06:22:34 PM »

I have read this topic and really wondered why anyone would consider putting something so strong on their skin.
It's not like it's an occasional thing.....It's constant. The damage will build up and then there will be no where to put the patch.

What's wrong with a moisturiser and a gentle rub later with a cotton pad.

Surgical spirit should not be used long term on your skin.

Sorry ladies....it might be a quick fix but so not good for you.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 08:05:19 PM »

Sure you're right Honeyb, but I had been using baby oil and it was taking 10 mins to get the all the glue off, and yes this was leaving it for a while (5 mins?) before using cotton wool. I'me not happy till it's clean, it was just  taking too long.

Limpy

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »

Honeyb is RIGHT.

We were out shopping this morning and I was about to purchase more surgical spirit to replace the thousand year stuff in my cupboard. OH says why are you getting that, I explain patch glue removal etc etc. He says, I think it's methanol and really not a good idea. When we got home and looked up the effects of methanol, it's REALLY REALLY BAD FOR THE NEUROLOGICAL SYSTEM. I had thought it was just bad if you drank it, it turns out it's also really bad if rubbed on the skin. It's absorbed that way as well, and causes lots of damage to the nervous system.

Sorry for doubting you Honeyb, you are so right   

Taz2

It's Ethanol not Methanol Limpy and it only makes up a proportion of surgical spirit. Ethanol is bad for you if you drink it - hardened alcoholics often drink it instead of alcohol - but surgical spirit rubbed into the skin doesn't have any toxic effects. Lots of athletes and long distance runners use it on their feet to harden the skin and it is also used to help prevent bedsores. My mum always used it to get off the marks left behind by plasters - especially the ones I used to have on my frequently grazed knees! http://www.thechemicalblog.co.uk/common-uses-of-surgical-spirit/

Taz x

Limpy

OH had seen the bit on the label which said active ingredient Methanol, he just hadn't seen the bit which said 5% or Ethanol 90%!  ::)
I questioned him about this after seeing your response, he said "Methanol is just bad in any quantity". He was of the opinion that I should use gin or vodka to clean my patches off. I do have some gin I don't like so..........    8)
It will look SO good in the bathroom    :whist:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:42:01 PM by Limpy »

honeybun

Just use body lotion. Rub on when you take the patch off and then in the evening put some more on a cotton pad and it comes off a treat.

I use nail varnish remover or surgical spirit on jam jars that i want to use again. It's strong, and not good for prolonged use on skin.

Make sure you are not having a swig of that gin.   ;D

Honeyb
X

Limpy

Now we get to the real tragedy.
I really don't like this gin, I never thought I would say that ever......
Assuming nail varnish remover is mostly acetone, that gets OH seal of approval for skin.    ::)

honeybun

Noooooo, it's for nails not skin. If it was meant for skin it would say so.

Get OH to rub it on his tooch and see if it nips.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

You are right, he didn't say for HIS skin, never mind THAT   ;D

I'll have a little word later   8)

ariadne

I bet a squib of WD40 or similar would get it off  ;)

ariadne xx

lily

I remember after having my first baby that I was to buy surgical spirit to rub around the stump of cord to make it come off - wouldn't think they'd advise that for a baby if it was too harsh on the skin, but I suppose it was only for a few days until it came away.  My dad used to have something called Zoff (I think?) to remove marks from plasters - don't know if it still exists?  Although, that said - I think I'd probably be wary of using anything like that or surgical spirit on an area that is for absorbing hrt.

Taz2

Yep - surgical spirit is still used to clean the umbilical cord stump and has always been used to harden skin with no ill effects. If you look online there are no side effects from using it on skin. The only problem is with drinking it - not at all advisable - but it has a really bitter ingredient added to prevent this happening.

Taz x
Pages: 1 [2]