Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So many flies!  (Read 10897 times)

louisy

So many flies!
« on: August 15, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »

Anyone else noticed more flies than usual this year?  Every time I open a window I seem to be constantly chasing them round the house  >:(  I don't want to use a chemical spray but not really sure what to do - never had this problem before.

Joyce

Re: So many flies!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »

Must be the warmer weather, though can't say I've noticed much difference.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »

We've got loads here this year - the metallic green ones. I have just managed to get rid of three which were buzzing around. I turned out the lights in whichever room they were in and by turning on other lights managed to lure them into the utility and from there through into the garage where lurk some wonderful spiders! Flies 0 - Me 1!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »

I noted several large ones today  >:( ......... the kitten loves 'em  ;D

Witches Cat

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »

We've got more flies here too.. and yes most of them are that metallic green... they are a bit smaller than the usual bluebottles we get though. Tried sticky fly papers last year and they were a nightmare... if you got the sticky on you while you were pinning them up you couldn't shift it... some "fell off" the strings then I had sticky on the carpets.... not nice... still don't like the sprays though, tend to open a window and hope the go as the came..

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »

Me +kitchen paper= squished fly.

;D

Honeyb
X

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 01:18:57 PM »

We've got more flies here too.. and yes most of them are that metallic green... they are a bit smaller than the usual bluebottles we get though. Tried sticky fly papers last year and they were a nightmare... if you got the sticky on you while you were pinning them up you couldn't shift it... some "fell off" the strings then I had sticky on the carpets.... not nice... still don't like the sprays though, tend to open a window and hope the go as the came..

Blimey, I remember those from when I was small.  Everybody had fly papers hanging in their homes.  I use a plastic swatter but have to say I haven't noticed too many this year.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »

Those fly papers were full of arsenic and where did Granny hang them  ;D

A good thawk with the daily papers is a good way ........ or let the kitten chase them  8)

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »

I went to bed the other night with a fly buzzing round the kitchen. It would not settle long enough for me to whack it. I had to get up in the morning and disinfect all my work tops because I did not know where it had been.

Yuk.....I hate the things. I have a bead curtain at my back door but they still get in.

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 09:09:55 PM »

We had loads last summer and i can't stand the damn things they land on god knows what, then come into the house yuk, anyway we had a ceiling fan fitted in march in the living room, and i have the patio doors wide open at every opportunity and its been amazing the flies come to the open doors and go back out the obviously don't like the fan  ;D

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 08:49:09 AM »

This is the first summer we've not had flies in our flat. Instead, we have ants. ::)

Rosebush

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »

Not getting many flies, but quite a few large spiders!  :o

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »

That's why you haven't got many flies then!  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 10:53:49 AM »

This is the time for daddy long legs. I really don't like them at all. All those legs.....they give me the shudders.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 11:38:07 AM »

Honeybun don't begrudge them their brief foray into the outside world having spent so much of their life underground. We have one on the kitchen wall at the moment - it only has two legs left. I bet it could tell a tale or two. This is fantastic - you might have to cover your eyes at the scary bits though http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/the-life-cycle-of-a-crane-fly/7189.html ;D

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2