Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is this normal with periods in perimenopause?  (Read 3669 times)

Mary1962

Is this normal with periods in perimenopause?
« on: August 17, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »

I'm 50 and going through perimenopause.  Last year I had one horrendous period after an 8 week gap (flooding for 6 days), then my cycle settled back to normal, ie, roughly every 4 weeks with normal flow for the rest of the year.  This year I've had some normal ones plus 2 with 8 week gaps between again - the first one when it came after that was normal, the second one again after an 8 week gap has been horrendous again - 2 hours max is all that will contain it, makes going out and work interesting!  I'm assuming this is just how they are as your hormones fluctuate and the lining builds up as not getting the signal to shed like it normally does?  I feel fine beyond feeling utterly shattered and having to boost my iron.  Will they go on like this for a while? I know friends have been given tranexamic acid tablets for similar. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is this normal with periods in perimenopause?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »

welcome.  We are all different and certainly some ladies get flooding++ problems and find that taking the tranexamic acid tablets helpful.

Lynne888

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »

Yep sounds just like my own experience. I used to get periods that were hardly noticeable and then I would occasionally get a proper all out flooding one.. I'd never had heavy periods before so it was a shock but it was normal at the time for me.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 07:12:04 PM »

I started like you when I was 45. It is totally normal to get the long gaps and then the heavy periods because as you say the lining has built up plus the hormones that switch the bleeding on and off are wonky as well.

Hopefully this won't happen to you but I went on to get up to 12 weeks between but then I would spot and have sudden flooding for up to 6 weeks every day. I had all the tests many times and it was all hormonal and nothing horrible.

I cannot take hrt but I did eventually try natural progesterone cream privately and whether it was coincidence or not the spotting and flooding stopped. I also had large ovarian cyst at time and was told this would disappear on the cream in 6 weeks and i was amazed when I had a scan 7 weeks later and it had gone :o

I am now 52 and for second time in two years am nearly at the post meno stage, I will scream if I get to 11 months and it all kicks off again like it did 18 months ago!